This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

It’s finally time to shed those layers and release our inner butterflies that have been trapped in cocoons all winter long. Spring is finally here and it couldn’t come any sooner. The girls here at Her Campus Drexel (and in Philly) are more than ready to throw our winter coats and snow boots into storage and to pull out our beloved cardigans and ripped skinny jeans. Get ready to stand out in bold colors like the blooming flowers that will soon line the sidewalks.

OUTFIT #1

Duster, Jeans, V-neck, Rain boots, Bag, Necklace, Watch, Lipstick

Although it won’t be freezing cold during the springtime, it’s not quite time to bring out your summer clothes. And although it more than likely won’t snow, you can count on some April showers. To beat the chill that may accompany the rain throw on a duster coat. A patterned one is a great way to add some fun to the dreary rainy day. Ripped skinnies will pair well with the coat and it’s a way to show a little bit of skin as you anticipate summer. White V-necks are essential and perfect for these days to ensure comfort. Rain boots are definitely the only appropriate footwear, but they don’t have to be ugly and bulky. Keep your jewelry pretty simple and choose a tone that goes with the rest of your look. A big, black carry-all tote will make sure that you can pack everything that you need, especially your umbrella. For your makeup, your everyday look will do, but it is spring, so add a pop of color! It can complement a certain part of your outfit or you can just chose a color that you’re feeling that day. For your hair, a half-up-half-down look is perfect. You don’t have to worry about frizz because you won’t need any heat at all to achieve this look.

OUTFIT #2

Cardigan, Camisole, Jeans, Shoes, Necklace, Bracelet, Watch, Bag

Don’t be afraid to play with color this spring! It’s no longer bleak outside, so there’s no reason that your outfit should be. Don’t be intimidated by neon colors; you should own them! Adding a pop of color with your cardigan is playful and fun. Underneath, keep it simple so the focus is on your funky sweater. A basic, neutral colored camisole will do. Boyfriend jeans are meant for spring. If you haven’t tried the trend yet, go for it! A light wash pairs better with this look and they’ll definitely look great with all your causal looks. If you’re down, add another pop of color in your bag and jewelry. If this is too much for you, it’s perfectly fine to go with accessories that are more muted. White shoes may be tricky to master, but they look so good in the springtime. Again, if it’s too much for you, go for another neutral color. Since there’s already a lot going on with your outfit, do a nude makeup look. You can skip the loads of eye shadow and just use your bronzer to add some depth to your eyelids. Matte nude lips are definitely on trend this season, so try it out with this look. For hair, try a braided do. It’s okay to keep is messy; so don’t worry about it looking perfect.

OUTFIT #3

Blouse, Jeans, Sandals, Bag, Earrings

Just because the calendar says spring, doesn’t mean it necessarily feels like spring. We’d consider this to be the perfect transitioning outfit for the seasons. Grab your favorite pair of jeans. You’ll look like you put effort into your outfit if you pair them with a loose, comfortable blouse. Wear brown chunky sandals with a matching cross-body bag or satchel. For your hair, wear it down and keep your makeup simple with a cat-eye and your everyday lip-gloss. Dangly, delicate earrings are the only jewelry you need for this ultra casual chic outfit. 

OUTFIT #4

Jacket, Dress, Sandals, Sunglasses

Of course, there will come days when the weather is pushing 80. You’ll want to opt for a short shift dress that doesn’t cling to your body.  To stay comfortable and casual in the sweltering heat, wear flat, black sandals. In the event that it cools down throughout the day, drape your jean jacket over your shoulders. You’ll probably want to wear a high, sleek ponytail to keep your hair out of your face. In the heat, caking on a lot of makeup is probably not the wisest thing. To make an effortlessly put-together face, wear a bright lip and tons of mascara.

After several long and cold months, we might have grown used to wearing frumpy layers, heavy coats and snow boots. Use this guide to help you shed your layers for the new season. Her Campus Drexel’s style guide will surely help you turn heads! 

Design & Merchandising major
Simone Wiley is a freshman majoring in fashion design.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.