What a Design & Merchandising Major Wears in a Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

One big misconception about Design & Merchandising (D&M) majors is that we all get dressed up every day and that we all look the same. For the record, everyone in every major begins to look similar after a while because we follow the same trends, whether we want to admit it or not! To showcase the similarities and differences, I convinced three of my friends who are also D&M majors to allow me to take pictures of their outfits for a week, as well as my own.

To begin, I asked everyone to give a brief description of her style:

“It’s hard for me to stay committed to one specific look, but I definitely value comfort and ease in function, and playfulness and personality in terms of design. I never want to take myself too seriously, and I always aim to have fun with what I’m wearing, so I’d say that’s the main principle I stick to when I get dressed each day.” -Annie

“I think my style is sort of sporty. I wear a lot of black and oversized clothes. I always want to feel comfortable, so my clothes are often pretty loose fitted.” -Yumi

“[My style] is definitely quirky with a lot of girly and feminine influence. I love versatile prints and being able to layer sweaters and jackets. I have a lot of different pieces in my closet that can work for different styles but, I like to mix and match!” -Mary Elizabeth

“I’m not sure how to define my style, but I only wear basics. If I wear a statement piece, it would be shoes. I always wear a piece that is oversized with a piece that is fitted because it’s all about comfort for me.” -Krystal

Monday

“I was feeling really spring-y but still very rock and roll.” -Annie

“I’m wearing wide leg jeans that I cut. They’re from the boys’ section and super comfortable. I just got this button up; I like it because it’s oversized and really soft.” -Yumi

“I love overalls and they are so easy to throw on. These overalls in particular are super lightweight so they are great for warm weather! They are versatile and definitely a statement piece because of the red check pattern.” -Mary Elizabeth

“It was really warm and sunny today so I wore shorts to soak it all in, and I just grabbed any white tee. My shoes are my favorite part of my outfit; they’re more comfortable than they look and, for me, they worked perfectly with this outfit.” -Krystal

Tuesday

“I wore this today because I thought it was going to be colder. Although it was warm, I was still very comfortable and I felt good in this outfit. Layering a dress is a cool way to make it your own.” -Annie

“I wanted to wear these pants today because I knew I was going to be walking around a lot and they’re super comfortable. They’re really soft and have an elastic waistband. I just threw on a black turtleneck and topper jacket because I thought it was going to be cold. I also wore sneakers because I knew I’d be running around today.” -Yumi

“Wearing a dress is always easy but by layering it with a collared shirt it gives the otherwise basic dress a girly look!” -Mary Elizabeth

“This is basically a uniform for me; I always wear leggings, a men’s top and sneakers so I didn’t put any thought into getting dressed today.” -Krystal

Wednesday

“I wore today’s outfit because it’s my favorite casual combo: black jeans and a simple tee.” -Annie

“I had a midterm this morning and did not have much time to think about what to wear, so I just put on all black. My shirt is oversized and comfortable and I wore wide leg cut offs because they are also super comfortable. It was pretty cold out so I put on my big black jacket that’s actually from the men’s section.” -Yumi

“Whenever I get the chance I like to wear my dad’s vintage bomber jacket, it was chilly out so it was the perfect day for it! Black jeans are simple and go with anything, and by pairing it with oversized pieces I was comfortable but still felt put together by layering!” -Mary Elizabeth

“It was cold this day, so I layered a bit with my favorite cardigan. White Vans are my go-to choice of footwear.” -Krystal

Thursday

“These boyfriend jeans are my absolute favorite; I wish I could wear them everyday. Even though it was cold, I still was pulling for spring in my Hawaiian print vans, which are also a wardrobe staple for me. This outfit makes me feel the most like me and I think represents my personal style the best.” -Annie

“I wore the same jeans I wore yesterday and an oversized camouflage turtleneck top. My class was canceled today, but I know this picture had to be taken so I just threw this on.” -Yumi

“I wanted to wear something with more neutral/light tones. I really like Mao collars and the print on the denim shirt added a feminine feel to the otherwise really eye catching, white overalls!” -Mary Elizabeth

“This day was colder than the day before, so a turtleneck seemed like the only appropriate choice. I had classes all day, so the boyfriend jeans were necessary for my comfort. The Chelsea boots were one of my favorites in the winter, so I wore them for the heck of it.” -Krystal

One of the benefits about being a D&M major is that we rarely have class five days a week, so our week ends on Thursday. As you can see, we all have different personal styles, but we do keep one thing in mind when getting dressed: comfort. We’re all comfortable in different things, but that’s what makes style unique. Of course this is not how every D&M major dresses, but it is a great example of the variety of ensembles you might see if you take a trip down to the URBN Center. 

Design & Merchandising major
Her Campus Drexel contributor.