This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Can one be better than the other?

If you’re a makeup artist, or even just a makeup enthusiast, you may wonder about the many stores that sell makeup. When we think about beauty products, our minds instantly go to Ulta or Sephora, or even the drugstore for those on a budget. So, which is better between the three?

When I think about drugstores that sell makeup, CVS, Walgreens, or Rite Aid instantly come to mind. They usually sell a variety of products, from medications to hair products to makeup. When you think about the makeup they sell, it’s usually brands like NYX, L’Oreal, Maybelline, Neutrogena, CoverGirl, Physicians’ Formula, etc. They have a wide selection between the makeup brands, but sometimes, you just can’t find exactly what you’re looking for. For example, how many times have you tried buying a foundation from the drugstore and struggled with finding the right shade? And how many times have you bought the wrong shade and had to spend extra time and effort into going back to return the products? It’s really not a fun situation to be in.

Places like Ulta and Sephora, however, are better options for finding your right shade of foundation. They have testers for you to swatch and people to help match you properly. This way, you can easily cross the drugstore off of your list in this comparison.

So, which would be better between Ulta and Sephora?

In my opinion, as a college student who is struggling financially, I would say Ulta is the better option. Ulta and Sephora both have a large variety of products. But as a college student, I see myself going to Ulta more often. They carry a lot of good drugstore products and many high-end products as well. As someone who loves makeup, but struggles to fulfill makeup needs and wants, I think Ulta lets you live a little bit easier.

Most college students have a part time job, which doesn’t have the best pay, so they usually struggle when it comes to buying more expensive items, whether it be clothes, food, makeup, books, etc. Sephora carries products that range from high-end to luxury brands. It’s kind of difficult for college students to buy from there for products you can easily find a cheaper alternative for at Ulta. I think Sephora is good for treating yourself once in a while, but Ulta is definitely a more suitable fit for those on a budget.

Her Campus Drexel contributor.