Tori Graf, President of Student Nurses’ Association

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Tori Graf is a senior nursing major at Drexel. A Hillsboro, Oregon native, she chose Drexel for its urban campus location. In her five years here in the city, she’s joined numerous organizations, including Gamma Sigma Sigma, Delta Gamma sorority, Lindy Scholars, Dragon 24, and Drexel University’s Student Nurses’ Association (DUSNA).

It’s clear that Tori has a great deal of leadership experience from her extracurricular activities. She is currently the president of DUSNA and chair of the academic’s committee for Dragon 24, a group that enhances the academic and school environment on Drexel’s campus from the perspective of Drexel’s most engaged students. She says the organizations here at Drexel have given her opportunities to meet new people and solve problems. For instance, the Dragon 24 works with Provost Blake in determining the best ways to serve both the university and the students. Dragon 24 is “a challenging group”, Tori says, but the students have designed a structure for the organization to communicate clearly.

Tori has been involved in DUSNA since her freshman year and worked her way up to the role as president. As she’s made her way to the top position, she’s held a national board position and was the treasurer here at Drexel. Part of what makes Tori such a genuine and an effective leader is her ability to step back and let the executive board grow and thrive in each of their own positions. Giving each member of the executive board their independence is what keeps DUSNA and effective and productive club. The organization gives mentorship opportunities for students in the program and provides community service opportunities for the nursing students to complete together.

Although she always knew she wanted to be a nursing major, Tori’s time here at Drexel has helped her determine what specialty she wants to work in: neonatal intensive care (NICU). A mentor shared her love of the NICU with Tori, and the result has led to three co-op positions in the NICU at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. She plans to stay in Philly for a few years post-graduation, but in time, would like to work as a travel nurse and gain experience in health care policy, another interest sparked here at Drexel: “I found a love for process improvement, leadership, and policy,” Tori said, “I have interest in potentially some health care policy work or graduate school”.

Tori says the best things about her participation in all organizations are the opportunities they provide to give back to the university and the community. “I have had an incredibly positive experience at Drexel,” says Tori, “and I hope to create positive experiences for the students around me”. In her free time, Tori enjoys yoga and exploring the city of Philadelphia. An avid runner, she’s currently training for the Disney Princess half marathon.

Bebhinn Nagle is a pre-junior at Drexel University, where she is majoring in Nursing. Along with this role of writer for HerCampus Drexel, she is also the recruitment chair for the school's student nurses' association.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.