This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

If you haven’t already heard, this is the summer for road trips. Road tripping can be loads of fun if you’re looking to escape the confines of the city, but where are you going? Don’t have a destination yet in mind? No problem! Here are the top destinations for road trips from Philly:

New Hope, PA

Arguably one of Pennsylvania’s quaintest towns, New Hope is an hour away from the city limits. With tons of boutiques and a tiny bridge that stretches from Pennsylvania to New Jersey, this teeny tiny town is a great way to sit back and relax. There are tons of artisanal coffee and ice cream shops that dot the street. If you’re looking for a quick and quaint getaway, New Hope is the way to go. There isn’t really a good or bad time to visit as it’s always bustling.

Asbury Park, NJ

Can you already hear Bruce Springsteen blasting into the air? Having grown up on the Jersey Shore, I’m biased when it comes to the sheer beauty of my neck of the woods. While there are tons of options up and down the coast, Asbury Park, which is an hour and a half away from Philly, is a great go-to for everything you’re looking for in a shore getaway: boardwalk food, great music, tons of bars, and a wild time on the beach. My favorite part of Asbury Park is the Silverball Retro Arcade where you can endlessly play on vintage pinball machines. All in all, this town never disappoints. The absolute best time to visit is in September when the tourist season comes to a close and the locals’ summer roars to life.

Lancaster, PA

Ah, yes, the land of covered bridges . If you’re into laidback shopping, massive portions, and getting to know the lives of the Amish, Lancaster is in your cards. An hour and fifteen minutes away, this is a fantastic place to go camping if you’re into that, but if not, this makes a great day trip. There are tons of food options from the Shady Maple Smorgasbord to the Bird-in-Hand Family Restaurant. Yes, this is a giant tourist trap in general, but if you drive along the state roads, there’s a very good chance you’ll find some Amish stands selling delicious homemade goods. Avoid going on Sundays as most of everything will be closed.

Cape May, NJ

If you haven’t yet ventured out to Cape May, then that’s a crying shame. This picturesque town that’s an hour and a half away is yet another laidback adventure. The beaches are some of the best in New Jersey, but the catch is that the traffic in and out of Cape May is horrendous at the height of the tourist season. The local wineries are pretty well-known, so it’s best to book reservations well in advance if you’re looking to go sipping among the vineyards. The restaurants dotting the boardwalk are all delicious and usually crazy busy. The best time to visit beautiful Cape May is, like Asbury Park, in September when the tourists have returned to their respective states.

Hershey, PA

So you’re looking for a thrill and some fun, huh? Hersheypark is a little under two hours away and is chock full of good times. If you’re super bummed that you’re not going to be able to visit Disney this year, Hersheypark is a pretty decent alternative. Chow down on good old Hershey’s Chocolate after riding some of the most thrilling roller coasters this side of the Mississippi. Afterward, head into town to check out the array of restaurants and shops at your disposal. The best time to visit Hershey is when Hersheypark is doing reduced ticket sales during the off-season.

If you’re feeling cooped up, hop in your car and head to one of these fantastic destinations! There are plenty of options for road tripping from Philly, so be sure to check them out.

Emmy is a senior at Drexel University where she studies English and communication. She's previously written for FreshU, CollegeXpress, and Spoon University. You can find her exploring this great big world of ours, from California to Paris.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.