This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

It’s easy to get into a routine in winter months and forget that there is this whole world outside with tons of opportunities to experience art and culture. Here is a list of interesting events and exhibitions you should visit to make your winter more exciting.

Live Events:

1. Philadelphia Auto Show

From February 2 -10 you’ll be able to explore the newest, most luxurious, classic and concept cars at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. There will be total of 700 vehicles to see and the show will feature events like the Dub Show, The CF Charities Super Car Show, Hollywood Rides and more!

2. Philadelphia Tattoo Arts Convention

If you’re a tattoo enthusiast or just need inspiration, from February 15 – 16 got to the Pennsylvania Convention Center to see live tattooing, sideshow acts, and several tattooed television celebrities and Ink Master contestants. This will be the 21st year of the Tattoo Arts Convention.

3. Philly Theatre Week

If you like theatre, don’t miss Philly Theatre Week! This festival takes place from February 7 – 17 and consists of 100 different events. What’s great about this event is that the tickets are super affordable! Everything costs either $15, $30 or nothing!

4. Check Out the Newly Renovated Met Philadelphia

Formerly the Philadelphia Metropolitan Opera was built in 1908 and has been transformed and just opened as The Met Philadelphia. This historical and majestic venue is a must-see! Some of the concerts this winter include Sarah Brightman, Boyz II Men, Disney’s DCappella and James Bay.

New Exciting Exhibitions:

1. See Sculptures for Free at the Philadelphia Museum of Art

A public installation STAND consisting of 10 cast-iron sculptures by British artist Antony Gormley has just opened at the steps of the museum. Go check it out and take some great pictures to freshen up your Instagram account! This exhibition will be on display until June 16.

2. Early Photography in Britain and France at the Barnes Foundation

If you’re interested in photography, I encourage you to visit Barnes Foundation from February 24 – May 12 to see where it all started. This exhibition will feature almost 250 photographs that were created during the 1840s – 1880s by British and French photographers.

3. Ancient Egypt: From Discovery to Display at the Penn Museum

I believe Ancient Egypt is one of the most fascinating topics of history. If you agree with me, don’t miss the chance to see this awesome display of Penn Museum’s Egyptian collection opening February 23! This time, you’ll also get the chance to learn about the way each artifact was discovered, researched and prepared for display.

4. Mythic Creatures: Dragons, Unicorns & Mermaids at The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University

Explore this magical exhibition and learn about the ways how people came up with characters of mythic tales like griffins, giants, and unicorns. You’ll be able to see and touch fossils, and create unicorn poop slime! This exhibition can be a great way to spend a day with your little sister or brother. Open from February 16 – June 9.

5. Cotton: The Soft, Dangerous Beauty of the Past at The African American Museum in Philadelphia

As part of the African American History Month, I encourage you to visit this exhibition at The African American Museum in Philadelphia. This exhibition features 35 photographs, installation, and altarpiece by a Philadelphia artist John E. Dowell who reflects on American slavery by looking at the cotton plant. This exhibition is open through February 24.

I hope you found something to spark up your winter on this list!

Alise is the President of the Her Campus at Drexel chapter. She is a senior studying Entertainment & Arts Management and hopes to work in the management of cultural organizations in the future. She is an international student from Latvia and loves traveling, photography, and dogs.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.