This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Hey, congrats! You just got a new internship, are going onto your spring-summer co-op from Drexel University, or got accepted to your dream job! It’s going to be an incredible journey, but for this ride you’ll need to look professional. Here are some staple items to help you build a professional wardrobe that’s perfect for you.

1. Button Down Blouse

Image courtesy of Aritzia

A solid color button down blouse is the most versatile piece one can own! Tuck it into a pair of trousers for an everyday office look or a skirt for your big presentation! Add some accessories, a statement necklace, dainty rings or your favorite watch to spice up the look.

2. Trousers

Image courtesy of LuLu’s

A pair of trousers is a must for any professional setting. They can be easily paired with button down shirts, blouses, or even a plain white tee and blazer! Make things exciting by experimenting with different fabrics, like this satin one from LuLu’s or tweed for the fall.

3. Blazer

Image courtesy of Express

If you don’t already own a blazer, trust me, this is one you’ll need. Whether you have a job interview, another day filled with hard work or an important meeting, styling your outfit with a blazer is fail-proof. You can even dress it down with a graphic tee, skinny jeans, and sneakers!

4. Maxi Dress

Image courtesy of H&M

Perfect for the spring and summer weather, a maxi dress will leave you cool, stylish and professional! Wear it with flats to the office or dress it up with heels and a blazer for any presentation. It could even be styled with sneakers and a jean jacket for brunch on your day off! Fun colors like red, orange, or Pantone’s Color of the Year, coral, will easily brighten up any day.

5. Sling-Back Heels

Image courtesy of Zara

Pencil heels can be an awful burden throughout the day, hurting your feet and ultimately raining down on all the fun the day has in store for you. Slingback shoes with a slightly shorter and thicker heel give the same look of sophistication and class, without any of the pain. Great to dress up a simple outfit for a regular workday or for special events.

And you’re ready to go! Try to mix and match these pieces with ones already in your closet, for the perfect professional wardrobe for you. Here’s to all the new adventures in store for you at your new job!

Hello! My name is Rifah. I'm a Design and Merchandising major, who has a passion for fashion, photography, good food and shows!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.