Spooktacular Treats for a Healthy Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

The temperature is dropping, the air is crisping, and the PSL has made its reappearance. It must be that spooktacular time of year again! Halloween can be hard to celebrate at Drexel simply because it just so happens to fall, ever year, between week six and seven when we are just about ready to pull our hair out. Though it may feel like the work is piling up, Halloween can still be celebrated in all its glory! What better way to celebrate this spooky holiday with some fun, mildly healthy, spooky treats? If your schedule leaves little time for you to eat on campus, you probably already pack some snacks to munch on throughout the day. Why not spice them up with a fun Halloween twist?

1. Monster Mouths

Source 1 Image 1

• 1 Apple
  • 1 Jar of your favorite nut butter
  • Marshmallows 

Cut apples into snackable slices. Then slab on as little or as much nut butter on to one side of the slice. Place and few marshmallows on the nut butter and smash together two slices like a sandwich. This a new spin on the healthy apples and peanut butter snack we always munch on. The nut butter will keep you going for those long nights spent studying while the apple and marshmallows will be just enough sweetness to make you feel like you’re eating a real treat!

2. Mini Ghost and Pumpkins

Source 2  Image2

• 1 Banana
  • 2 Clementines
  • 1 Piece of celery
  • A few chocolate chips

Cut a peeled banana in half and arrange it with the pointed end up. Apply chocolate chips to create a cute ghost face. Peel the clementines completely and stick half a piece of celery into the top of each one to create a pumpkin stalk. If you were going to toss a few fruits in your bag for class anyway, why not dress them up?

3. Broomsticks

Source 3 Image 3

• String cheese sticks
  • Pretzel sticks

Cut one string cheese stick into thirds and peel the ends of each piece, but not completely. Insert the pretzel stick into the unpeeled end. The salty pretzel combined with the creamy cheese sticks provide a great snack full of protein to help you keep going!

And for those of us who have a hard time planning ahead…

4. Artsy Bananas 

Source 4 Image 4

• 1 Unpeeled banana
  • Toothpicks/Pen

Take a banana, unpeeled, and feel free to doodle! For lighter art work use a toothpick to draw some fun Halloween cartoons. For easy doodling use a pen to draw on the peel of the banana, toss it in your bag, and enjoy as a mid-day snack.

If you are looking for more fun recipes check out this great site for inspiration! Also, follow Her Campus Drexel on Pinterest for everything Halloween! Drexel’s schedule may be crazy, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get festive with your midday snacks.

Have a Spooktacular Halloween!!

Dyana is a pre-junior at Drexel University with a double major in marketing and finance.  She is often stuck on campus studying for her majors, but in her free time she loves to explore what the city has to offer.  Dyana also loves to exercise and stay active all year round; she is always trying new workouts and researching the best way to stay active.  As a closet writer, she is excited to publish her work for Her Campus Drexel! 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.