Simple Makeup Upgrades For Professional Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

With some of you going on Co-Op soon, deciding how to do your makeup for the workday is important in presenting yourself professionally. We all know that the makeup we would wear for a night out isn’t always appropriate in the workplace, so here are some ideas to upgrade your normal makeup routine for the workplace.

1. Defined Eyes

This look defines and brightens your eyes while also looking casual and professional.

The first step is to apply eyeshadow primer; my favorite is Maybelline Eye Studio Master Primer. Most primers come with a wand in the container, but if not then distribute the primer onto your fingertips and blend onto your eyelids. If the primer does have a wand, then also blend in with fingertips as well. Eyeshadow primer isn’t necessary although it makes the eye makeup last a lot longer. The next step is to sweep on your favorite neutral eyeshadow shade. This may be your skin tone, a light brown, a light golden color, a rosy pink, any shade that’s not too dark or bold. Some examples are Milani Baked Eyeshadow in Drenched in Gold, and NYX Nude Matte Eyeshadow in Leather and Lace. You can use your fingertips to distibute the product onto your lids, or an eyeshadow brush. Then line your top eyelid with a liquid eyeliner, starting from the inner corner of your eyes and gradually getting thicker towards the outer corner to define the eyes. Either brown or black works, if you have brown eyes consider choosing brown because it can really make your eyes pop! Finally coat with a layer of mascara, and you’re done.

Tip: Add some white pencil eyeliner to the bottom waterline of the eyes to brighten the eyes even more.

image source:

2 . Matte Pink Lips

Matte lips are perfect for the workplace because they last all day, and there’s a million shades to choose from.

First choose any shade of pink matte liquid lipstick that suits you, whether it be light or dark. Some examples of brands to try are Colourpop, NYX and Maybelline, and Lime Crime. Make sure to apply lip balm before applying the liquid lipstick since it will dry on your lips. Then hold the lipstick wand vertically and swipe it across your lips, press your lips together to distribute it, and wait for the color to dry!

image source:

3. Simple Highlight

Highlighting your face can give you a beautiful finish that will brighten up your face and give you an extra boost of confidence before work. Below is an easy way to highlight your face with beauty products you already own.

First you’re going to put your regular foundation on your face. Then, with any concealer you own that’s lighter than your foundation, you can highlight your cheekbones, bridge of your nose, and the inside of your eyes by placing the concealer there and blending it in with your fingertips. Add a little blush to your cheeks, and you’re done!

Image source:

These easy upgrades can change up your everyday makeup look while remaining professional for whatever workplace you are in. 

Her Campus Drexel contributor.