Sex and the City 3 – Canceled!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Image courtesy of The Sun

Recently, I started watching the Sex and the City (known as SATC) series starting from the first season again. It’s a good dose of humor after a day of serious lectures. Unfortunately, I have to accept the painful truth – I won’t be seeing anything new from the lives of Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha.

On September 28, 2017, Sarah Jessica Parker confirmed that another Sex and the City movie is not coming out: “It is over. We’re not doing it.”

There have been opinions that if the third movie did happen, it would probably be a bad one. However, let’s admit it: the audience doesn’t care – they just want to know what has happened in the lives of the beloved characters. Personally, I would love to see how they have changed since the last film. Now seven years later, when they would be in the second part of their lives, would Samantha still be obsessed with sex? Would Carrie still be together with Mr. Big? What would Miranda’s and Charlotte’s children look like now? There are so many questions fans would anticipate receiving answers to.

Apparently, stars are also heartbroken about the movie’s cancellation: Sarah Jessica Parker told “Extra”: “I’m disappointed. We had this beautiful, funny, heartbreaking, joyful, very relatable script and story. It’s not just disappointing that we don’t get to tell the story and have that experience, but more so for that audience that has been so vocal in wanting another movie.”

No doubt all of us would love to get a sneak peek of the funny and relatable script! Actress Kristin Davis is just as sad about the news. She posted a message on Instagram: “I love to look back at the pics from our LONG history of Sex and the City. I am incredibly lucky to have gotten to play Charlotte through all of her ups and downs,” she continues “It is true that we are not going to be able to make a 3rd film. I wish that we could have made the final chapter, on our own terms, to complete the stories of our characters. It is deeply frustrating not to able to share that chapter (beautifully written by MPK) with all of you.”

Similarly, actor Willie Garson, who played Stanford Blatch on SATC, showed his disappointment on Twitter: “Disappointed for all crew holding on for negotiations to conclude for their jobs, and of course, for the fans. Leave it at that. #Truth”

The questions and rumors about making the third sequel started right after the last SATC movie came out in 2010 – Sex and the City 2. Fans became especially hopeful because of the hints from Sarah Jessica Parker. In 2014, during an interview, she said: “A part of me thinks there is one last chapter to tell.”

I bet all SATC fans still believe there is at least one more chapter!

Even Kim Cattrall gave fans a glimpse of hope. At the beginning of this year she said in an interview with PEOPLE: “Are we still relevant? That would be the reason to come back,” she continued, “I really miss making people laugh, I so enjoy that.”

At New York City Fashion Week in February 2017, Sarah Jessica Parker continued to pour honey in SATC fans’ ears: “It’s in a warming drawer. It’s never been a ‘no’…it’s always been an ‘if’ and ‘when.’”

However, we all know now that SATC 3 won’t happen. The question is: why? An exclusive source had told Daily Mail that the reason why SATC 3 wasn’t happening was Kim Cattrall. The rumors were that she had demanded for Warner Bros to produce movies she was working on or she wouldn’t be a part of the film. Although this may be true, Cattrall later posted on Twitter: “The only ‘DEMAND’ I ever made was that I didn’t want to do a 3rd film….& that was back in 2016.”

Who knows, Kim Cattrall might be right. In an interview on a TV show called Life Stories, she said: “This isn’t about more money, this is not about more scenes, it’s not about any of those things. This is about a clear decision, an empowered decision in my life to end one chapter and start another. I’m 61. It’s now.”

Sex and the City was an American romantic comedy television series created by Darren Star and produced by HBO. It was broadcast from 1998 until 2004 and continued by two films – in 2008 and 2010. The series won seven of its 54 Emmy Award nominations, eight of its 24 Golden Globe Award nominations, and three of its 11 Screen Actors Guild Award nominations. Both of the films were commercially successful, despite mixed reviews.

Who knows – maybe things happen as they are meant to and we should remember SATC characters as they were back in 2010 and move on. Besides, we can always watch the series all over again!

Image courtesy of GLAMOUR

Carrie once said: “I couldn’t help but wonder: Can you get to a future if your past is present?

Alise is the President of the Her Campus at Drexel chapter. She is a senior studying Entertainment & Arts Management and hopes to work in the management of cultural organizations in the future. She is an international student from Latvia and loves traveling, photography, and dogs.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.