A Review of Master of None

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

So it’s been a month since Aziz Ansari’s comedy series Master of None was officially released on Netflix. After binge-watching the entire first season in a ridiculously short amount of time, I think I have earned my place to share my opinions about the show (without giving away any spoilers, of course).

For those of you who don’t know who Aziz Ansari is (hello, do you live under a rock?), he started performing standup comedy in the summer of 2000 while attending New York University. He recently wrapped up his latest stand up tour titled Modern Romance, which was a wild success. Today, he is well known for his role of the beloved character of Tom Haverford on Parks and Recreation.

Now, he has brilliantly starred, produced, and written his own show titled Master of None. Master of None follows the protagonist Dev Shah played by Ansari as he stumbles through New York in search of love and luck, with his family and friends by his side. Though it is classified as a comedy, the series also attacks some deeper subject matter throughout the course of the season.

The success of this show lies in one vital aspect and that is how relatable it is. Ansari brings up significant topics and starts the conversation on many issues. The show takes a long and hard look at many important issues we face in society presently including racism, gender roles, and immigration.

Ansari seems to have taken many bits and pieces of his own life experiences and successfully incorporated them into the series to create a lasting and memorable effect for audiences.

As the son of immigrant parents himself, it is obvious that Ansari channels this personal experience into the series too. His character learns about the sacrifices and struggles his parents had faced in the past to allow him to grow up where and how he had. The audience can see that Dev (Ansari) is attempting to develop a better relationship with his parents and be more involved in their lives. This aspect of the series appeals to a large demographic of first generation Americans.

The series also sheds light on the racism that plagues the film and television industry, which Ansari undoubtedly faced on his rise to fame. But Ansari didn’t let the racism he faced affect the design of his show, and his diverse cast proves just that.

The cast is refreshingly mixed and effortlessly brings together the comedic and cinematic aspects of the show. SNL’s Noël Wells, who plays the role of Rachel, a love interest of Dev. Kelvin Yu plays Dev’s best friend, Brian, a son of Taiwanese immigrants.

So in case this review hasn’t convinced you to go check out the show for yourself, many critics have also praised the series for its funny yet thoughtful take on the situations that Dev gets himself into throughout the season. This is one show you don’t want to miss out on!

Manali is a junior Biology major with a public health minor hoping to pursue her life goal of finding a keychain with her name on it . She's been with the Her Campus Drexel community since her sophomore year as a feature writer and hopes to one day run out of pages in her passport. You can find her planning her next adventure,exploring the city of Philadelphia, attempting to cook, or watching too much Netflix.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.