Ranking of the Best Fry Joints in Philly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

French fries are a classic addition to any meal and can be made in many different forms, such as, shoestring, crinkle cut, waffle, steak cut, curly, and so many more. Golden, crispy, and seasoned, they are loved by little ones, adults, and especially hungry college students. Being the adventurous eater that I am, during my first year at Drexel I vowed to try a side of fries with my meal at every new restaurant that I dined at. Here is my ranking of the best places to get your favorite salty fix in Philly!

1. Landmark Americana

Location: 3333 Market St., Philadelphia, PA 19104

Ranking: 5 out of 5

This hotspot is popular in University City due to its gourmet twist on typical American foods, including fries. When I perused the menu and saw that Landmark sold garlic parmesan fries, I immediately ordered them and was so excited to try. The fries are the perfect golden brown and thin with a nice crunch. Seasoned with fresh garlic and parmesan, they are absolutely mouthwatering and will make you want to return for more. I was given a decent portion that filled me up, so this delicious side is definitely worth the money and the long wait during dinner hours!

2. California Pizza

Location: 3231 Powelton Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19104

Ranking: 5 out of 5

Crunchy, perfectly fried, and lightly salted, the fries at California Pizza are a perfect snack and always fresh. A handful are put into a bag with ketchup packets to complement your fries. Once you eat one, you’ll find yourself finished with the entire bag in no time! My favorite part about California Pizza fries is the texture because the fries feel as if they are breaded instead of smoothly cut. I highly recommend stopping by this joint!

3. Five Guys

Location: 1527 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, PA 19102

Ranking: 4 out of 5

As a regular Five Guys customer, I am a huge fan of their fries and get them every time I find myself stepping foot into one of their restaurants! The side is made from hand-picked potatoes and cooked in peanut oil for a delicious, perfectly fried taste. The only downside is that the fries can sometimes come with excessive oil and grease, which takes away from the taste of the potatoes and can make them a bit soggy, but rest assured, Five Guys is known for their burgers and fries!

4. Pizza Wings Steaks

Location: 3235 Powelton Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19104

Ranking: 4 out of 5

Pizza Wings Steaks, commonly referred to as Pdubbz, is famous for their Big Daddy pizza, but did you know that they also offer the dish in fry form too? One of my favorite meals to order is the Big Daddy fries, which consists of their thin, browned fries topped with grilled chicken, bacon, cheese, barbecue sauce, ranch, and cilantro. These fries are one of a kind and will send you straight to heaven with just one bite! 

5. Sabrina’s Café

Location: 227 N. 34th St., Philadelphia, PA 19104

Ranking: 4 out of 5

Sabrina’s Café is known for their amazing breakfast specials, but their fries are just as good! Cut thin and fried to perfection, you can order garlic parmesan, sweet potato, or regular fries to add to your meal or eat as the main course (I’m guilty of this!). I recommend the sweet potato fries because they’re sprinkled with powdered sugar, giving the fries a sweet touch.

6. Shake Shack

Location: 3200 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, PA 19104

Ranking: 4 out of 5

I had never tried Shake Shack before I moved to Philadelphia and was told by friends that their fries were a must to try! They were right – these potatoes are crinkle cut, salted, and lightly crisped. When you bite into these fries, they’re quite fluffy, making them stand out from the others. Sometimes, I find that there is too much salt so make sure that you purchase a drink with your potatoes to hydrate!

7. Percy Street Barbecue

Location: 900 South St., Philadelphia, PA 19147

Ranking: 4 out of 5

One of my best friends invited me out to dinner at Percy Street Barbecue down on South Street and I just had to order their fries. I had their hand-cut, golden fries, which were seasoned with delicious and slightly spicy barbecue spice, but one of their most popular menu items is the BBQ fries, which are topped with brisket and melted cheese. If you love barbecue and smoky-tasting food, this place is for you!

8. The Cheesecake Factory

Location: 1430 Walnut St., Philadelphia, PA 19102

Ranking: 3 out of 5

During my first visit to the Cheesecake Factory, I thought I should have ordered something a bit fancier than just fries, but again, I am a fry enthusiast so I stuck by my decision. I was honestly a bit disappointed in the fries because they were plain and did not stand out to my taste buds in any way. The fries were okay, but do yourself a favor and order a more delicious meal option when you decide to dine at this restaurant!

Unlike some dishes, fries can be found at almost every restaurant nowadays. Expand your horizons and visit some of these joints to try not only your good ol’ plain fries, but various toppings and condiments as well! You might be surprised at what you like! Happy eating!

Rachel is a senior at Drexel University majoring in Design & Merchandising. She dreams of traveling the world and loves to learn about new cultures and languages. She also aspires to be the editor-in-chief of her own fashion magazine one day. You can find her binge watching Vanderpump Rules, eating way too much mac & cheese, dancing to her favorite songs and exploring when she goes city-hopping!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.