This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

It all started off on October 14, 2020. Ariana Grande tweeted “i can’t wait to give u my album this month” and it broke the internet. Arianators were ecstatic, to say the least. “Positions” is the musical representation of Ariana’s growth/evolution in her personal life. While “thank u, next” was a reflection of all the heartbreak and uncertainty she faced two years ago, the new album illustrates the story of her opening up to all the good that life has to offer to her yet again. The 14 tracks were meticulously ordered to create a relatable story, and of course, one that is full of orchestra-themed bops. Ariana never fails to make sure her vocals are layered and full of beautiful runs, and that is exactly what she did again. 

This particular album has more of a carefree, fun vibe, allowing for her lyrical humor to come through more than usual. It was also very…. NSFW (not safe for work). She takes control of her stage again in “shut up” where she tells her critics “you know you sound so dumb, so maybe you should shut up” while somehow still making it sound sweet by using a very Disney-like track. The factor that REALLY makes you want to listen to more of the album is that she uses every possible vocal feature she could think of, right in her first track! A perfect way to begin her new era. 

“34+35” is exactly what you think it is (do I need to do the math?). It’s a lyrically funny and upbeat song with one of the most catchy hooks in the album. The track she uses for this juxtaposes the lyrics which just makes it more fun to listen to. With lyrics like “just gimme them babies,” this song is clearly something that she was having fun with and we’re living for it! The same vibe can be felt in “nasty” and “my hair.” 

Ariana Grande performing
Photo by BerisikRadio.com distributed under a CC0 1.0 Public Domain license

Of course, no Grande album would be complete without a set of songs that showcase her vulnerable side. In “off the table’ with The Weeknd, she sings questions that all of us tend to have when we feel alone or question what the future would look like. “Am I too cold? Am I not nice?” she wonders when she feels like she’s never going to find love again. However, even though the lyrics were relatable and tear-worthy, I personally think that The Weeknd’s contribution dulled it down. One of my favorite tracks would undoubtedly be “pov.” A classic Ariana track about wanting to know how to love herself to get you all in the feels. The soft rain in the background, violins, and quiet bass. Everything was so well thought out; “I wanna love me, the way that you love me” is something that I’m sure everyone can resonate with at some point in their lives. The soft harmonies get more intense towards the end. Definitely a 3-a.m.-jam-session kind of song. It really ties the whole album together.

There was one feature song that didn’t quite hit the mark: “motive”. Although this track has a “Dangerous Woman” vibe, Doja Cat’s verse wasn’t as boppy as I expected it to be. Nevertheless, it’s still super catchy (telling from the fact that it’s been stuck in my head). A feature that did have me shook was “safety net” with Ty Dolla $ign. With their voices meshing together so smoothly, it’s hard not to vibe with it. Who knew Ty Dolla $ign could sing like that? 

Now let’s talk about some of the underrated tracks. “six thirty” is probably one of the cutest songs on the album; it’s that kind of song that just makes you feel instantly comfortable. Confessing her true feelings, Ariana sings “obvious.” In this song, she talks about how her partner should’ve known how she feels about him cause she’s making it pretty obvious. Again, relatable for most people. 

Ariana Blow Kiss
Giphy

Overall, Ariana Grande has kept her signature sound intact in her sixth album. Although the theme of this album is more on the sexual side, she still gives us a piece of her that we’re used to. The relatable lyrics, musical theatre tracks, whistle notes, soft harmonies, and humor are all the factors that make this album as fun and catchy as it is. If you’re not an Arianator (I don’t know who wouldn’t be), you’ll still find at least one track on here that you’ll like. She’s still giving the world what it asks for and I can’t wait to see what more the “Positions” era has to offer. 

Hi! I'm Sneha and I'm a Psychology major. I love to sing, bake, cook, and watch shows on Netflix!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.