This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

What does it mean to have a passion for something? Typically, a passion is thought of as something that one is strongly interested in, devoted to, and something that we thoroughly enjoy. Passions can extend to, but are not limited to, hobbies, sports, activities, or interests. Recognizing that we have a passion for something often elicits the consideration of pursuing this passion in efforts to secure our “dream job”. But what is a dream job?

Image courtesy of Business Chicks

A dream job can mean something different to everyone. For some it may be anything that allows them to work with children, for others it may be becoming the next Broadway sensation. Imagining what your dream job may be is the easy part. Figuring out how to get there is the hard part.

The idea of having a passion for something is empowering. We all want to one day find a career that will have us jumping out of bed in the morning, excited to get to work. The problem is, not too many have a passion for typing away at a computer, working a cubical desk job day in and day out (or maybe you do? Who am I to say for sure?). For many of us, pursuing that dream job comes at a cost. The things we are passionate about, at least in my experience, are not necessarily the most financially fulfilling career paths. They either do not pay well by nature or they involve taking large risks that could either result in great fortune or great financial ruin.

Image courtesy of Scout

So how do we decide between taking a practical route to career hunting or following our hearts to pursue a lifelong passion?

The hard answer: there is no right answer.

As a sophomore in high school I made the choice to focus on making dance my career. I transferred to a performing arts high school, I came to Drexel as a dance major, and I joined in on all of the different dance opportunities that came my way both in and out of school. I chose, as a 16-year-old, that I was going to follow my heart and choose the path of passion. However, by the end of my second year of college, I realized it wasn’t for me anymore. I was not feeling as invested in my chosen path as I once had. So I made a switch. This time in the name of practicality. I switched to a Business Administration major and made dance my minor. And guess what happened? I discovered a new set of career goals and a new passion.

This is the key. You need to find a balance between these two major entities that works for you. For me, I needed an even split. I started with the intention of only following a passion and ended up needing to add a little bit of practicality back into the mix to find my happy medium. For others this may not be the case at all. There is something to be said about the degree to which one is willing to take a risk when making passion-driven decisions. The kind of passion-driven decisions we make depends on the degree of risk we ourselves are subconsciously willing to take. I would argue that if you have a passion for something fully think about how much you are willing to risk in your pursuit of it. I learned that I did not need to go to an extreme such as being a dance major to keep dance in my life. However, I went to high school with people who graduated and joined the Joffrey Ballet School Trainee program and are currently on their way to being apprentices in major New York Ballet companies. For them, they were willing to risk everything, even the chance at earning a college degree, so they took the jump and now they are flying.

Image courtesy of Lifewire

Finding the right mix is key to finding the job of your dreams. The thing is, only YOU can decide what that right mix may be. If you are truly passionate for a something  it will find a way to stay with you no matter what choices you make in life.

Image courtesy of UX Collective

Gina Moffa

Drexel '20

Hi! My name is Gina and I am a Business Administration major at Drexel University! My minors in Dance and Photography help me to put a creative and artistic twist on everything I do.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.