sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter to a Single Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

To all the single ladies,

It sucks to be alone. We long to find that special someone that we can share laughter, cuddles, and Friends episodes with. We want to send long text messages into the night, but it’s not like we can just ask a fairy godmother to grant us the perfect boyfriend (although that should be a thing).

In college, I’ve already met girls who have come to school and left their boyfriends back home, but still FaceTime them and receive gifts from them in the mail. I’ve also seen my friends here who have clicked with their special guy and been swept up into a relationship after only a few months of school. They study together, go on dinner dates, and have sleepovers, but better yet, they enjoy each other’s company. All that is really sweet and for a while, I wanted just that. I wanted a boyfriend. I wanted a best friend and a lover all in one. But, all that wanting wasn’t going to help me find that.

I realized that I needed to stop wasting my time wishing to be in a relationship. I finally accepted the fact that I was okay being single. You know what’s great about being single? You can worry about how you look and spend as much time on yourself as you want without feeling guilty. You start to look good for YOU, buy that gorgeous dress for YOU, and go to the gym for YOU. There are perks about being in a relationship, but being single means committing to yourself instead of another person. If you don’t love yourself, you can’t love anyone else.

Instead of waiting for that perfect boy to come along, I’m out working towards my dreams, exploring the city, and binge watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix for hours – and I’m having fun doing it all. I like to believe that things happen when you least expect it, so until Mr. Right comes along, I’ll be busy doing me and feeling confident, positive, and happy about the way my life is in this moment.

Much love,

One of you

Rachel is a senior at Drexel University majoring in Design & Merchandising. She dreams of traveling the world and loves to learn about new cultures and languages. She also aspires to be the editor-in-chief of her own fashion magazine one day. You can find her binge watching Vanderpump Rules, eating way too much mac & cheese, dancing to her favorite songs and exploring when she goes city-hopping!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.