Nudes for All: 3 Brands With Products for Dark-Skinned Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

If you, too, are a woman of darker complexion, then you probably share in my frustration of finding a nude that actually resembles your own skin tone, rather than one generic shade of beige. In case you missed the “Nude Awakening” movement this summer, you should read about it. But to sum it up, Ithica student Luis Torres, along with over 800 people, decided to challenge the non-inclusive definition of the word “nude” in Merriam Webster’s Dictionary. And since then, a few companies have tried to rectify the situation and offer products for women of all skin tones.

Here are some brands that show that nude is actually a spectrum of more than three shades (light, medium, dark). Theses brands offer nudes specifically for people with darker skin tones:

1. Nubian Skin

I think we can all agree that underwear is the most essential part of an outfit. The wrong underwear can cause an embarrassing mishap or an altogether disastrous experience. To add to the equation, finding the perfect nude underwear if you have dark skin is a huge headache. Why pay $50 for a “nude” bra that is actually beige?

Your hunt for the perfect nude underwear has finally come to an end! You can thank the creator of the underwear brand Nubian Skin. The lovely Ade Hassan, inspired by Eunice Johnson and Iman, grew tired of the constant struggle to find the perfect skin tone underwear, so she blessed women of color with the perfect solution.

Nubian Skin gives you the option to purchase everything from your basic bra and panty to your “I look too good to cover up” lingerie ($16-$65). You can also add a bit of spice with barely there hosiery ($14-$16). To make sure you purchase the right color, you can refer to Nubian Skin’s skin tone guide that describes colored tones with irresistible names such as Café au Lait (lightest), Caramel (medium-light), Cinnamon (medium-dark), and Berry (darkest). Nubian Skin is also available at Nordstrom.

2. Black Up Cosmetics

You walk into a makeup store and you see a new line of foundation boasting a wide range of shades for every skin tone. It’s almost impossible to avoid rolling your eyes. Chances are, the wide range probably includes about 10 shades, with the first six shades aimed at paler skin tones, the next three shades for medium skin tones, and finally, the last and darkest shade for every other skin tone.

Enter Black Up Cosmetics. This Paris-based brand is dedicated exclusively to women of color and is developed by women of color. Some key points the brand claims to offer are “perfect coverage” and a “100 percent non-ashy finish.” The brand also offers skincare ($22-$52), in addition to the makeup. You can purchase a variety of products for your face, eyes, lips, and body ranging from $17.50 to $47.00. If you struggle with finding your perfect shade of foundation, you can answer five short questions to get started. Specify everything from your shade and your undertone to your coverage and your desired finish. Black Up is also available at Sephora.

3. Christian Louboutin

Even if you don’t regularly wear heels, you probably own a nude pair because they’re a staple in every woman’s closet. This is where the struggle ensues since the “nude” is actually beige. *Cue the eyeroll*

As if you needed a new reason to lust over a pair of Christian Louboutin heels, the designer decided he would take part in the movement to redefine “nude” by creating a collection, tittled “Les Nudes,” that allows women of color to have a pair of nude pumps that are actually their kind of nude! Although the line features only five shades and retails at a heartbreaking price of $625, it’s a step in the right direction. Pun intended.

Although this is only the beginning of the end of the nude struggle for women of color, it is progress. We all know by now that it only takes one. Next thing you know, there’s an ongoing trend! Hopefully other brands hop on the bandwagon sooner than later. 

Design & Merchandising major
Her Campus Drexel contributor.