My Top Five Favorite Recommended Netflix Originals to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

I don’t know about you, but my time in self-isolation has been spent working on my online courses and watching hours of Netflix. I am running out things to watch, but I thought I would share a few of my favorite shows that maybe you’ve seen or haven’t seen. So, in no particular order, here are a few of my favorite Netflix Originals. 

The Haunting of Hill House

I know at first this show can seem terrifying, but I promise it’s an excellent show. The show revolves around a family confronting the horrors of their past and the haunting memories of their old home. The show is loosely based on the 1959 novel of the same name by Shirley Jackson. The show is so well written and directed, you’ll end up wondering how you ended up binging the entire show in one sitting (because I did). 

Elite

Elite is a Spanish teen drama set in Las Encinas, a fictional elite secondary school. It follows three working-class teenagers trying to adapt and build relationships with their wealthy classmates. The first season depicts a series of flash-forward scenes of police-investigations as the audience tries to piece together who killed a fellow student.  This is definitely a binge-worthy show and a great distraction. 

The Umbrella Academy

Well, first of all, this show is not your average superhero show. The Umbrella Academy is based on a comic book series with the same name, created by Gerard Way (lead vocalist for My Chemical Romance) and Gabriel Ba. The show revolves around a dysfunctional family of adopted superhero siblings reuniting to solve the mystery of their father’s death and eliminate the threat of an impending apocalypse. The ensemble cast and dynamic soundtrack, along with the story, makes the show one of the best on Netflix.

The Society

This show follows a group of teenagers who learn to create their own society after the rest of their town mysteriously vanishes as the town’s local high schoolers return home early from a canceled field trip. A dense forest barricades the surrounding town, with no sign of the outside world and lack of telephone use and the internet. This show provides a modern take on William Golding’s 1954 novel Lord of the Flies and even a new take on the Pied Piper of Hamelin folktale. This show is guaranteed to pique your curiosity as to whether these teens are going to survive or not.  

Sex Education

This comedic show follows Otis Milburn, a socially awkward teenager, unsure about sex, despite his mother being a sex therapist who is open about all aspects of sexuality. After unintentionally assisting the school bully with his sexual performance anxiety, Otis sets up a sex advice business with Maeve, a confident but troubled classmate. Otis and Meave use the business to educate their peers on how to deal with their own sexual problems.  I really liked how this show was able to dive into important and controversial topics and shed light on how sex education is essential in school.  

Hey everyone! I am a chapter leader for Drexel University's chapter of HerCampus. I am a senior biological sciences student with a concentration in cell, molecular, genetics, and biochemistry. I hope to become a clinical pharmacist/researcher one day. I love traveling, reading, Netflix-bingeing, and writing for HerCampus.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.