#LoveYourself: Rayauna Nolan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Name: Rayauna Nolan

Age: 19

Major: Health Sciences, Pre-Med track

Class: Sophomore (Class of 2018)

Relationship Status: Single

What are three words you would use to describe yourself?

Determined, loyal, and honest.

What’s your favorite feature about yourself?

I would have to say my smile. I love to be happy and I love to laugh, so people definitely see me smiling often. I believe that if you’re constantly living life on a positive note, something positive is bound to happen to you. Plus, I’m more of an introverted and shy person, so I use my smile to present myself as more approachable. I think it’s probably the best way to make friends.

What advice would you give to young girls?

Do your own thing and don’t worry about the haters! Honestly, I spent way too much time when I was younger worrying about what people thought about me. I didn’t embrace all of the things I loved to do, but now I wish I had spent more time doing whatever it was that made me happy and ignoring the negative people around me. So, do you! If you want to post a selfie because you look good, do it! People are never going to be satisfied no matter what you do, so just be you and be confident.

How do you define “beautiful”?

I would define beautiful as something that radiates warmth, if that makes sense. Someone can have a beautiful personality because they’re kind, honest, compassionate, etc. And beautiful is not limited to just people. A sunset can be beautiful; someone’s dancing can be beautiful. Even being in love could be classified as beautiful. I think if it makes you and/or other people happy, it’s beautiful.

Who was the best female role model for you when growing up and why?

My mom, hands down. She has got to be the most amazing woman I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. She’s also the most selfless person ever. She has always made sure my siblings and I had the best of the best, whether it was clothes, shoes, or gaming systems (for my brothers), and she never hesitates to put herself last. My mom also instilled such a value for education in all of us. She was always there to help with homework, and loved giving us extra work to make sure we were ahead of what we were learning in class. I can only hope to be half as great of a mom—and person—as she is.

What are your #goals for the future?

My short-term goals would be to graduate Drexel in 2018 and attend medical school in New York, Philadelphia, or New Jersey. My long-term goals are to eventually become a pediatrician/pediatric surgeon and maybe even open up my own practice way in the future. I would also love to have the opportunity to work with the amazing doctors at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) or NewYork-Presbyterian’s Children’s Hospital.

Why do you #LoveYourself?

I love myself because I strongly believe in the philosophy that self-love attracts love. If I love myself, I easily become more attractive, whether romantically or just in terms of having healthy friendships. I, personally, would not want to surround myself with people who were constantly putting themselves down. Self-love also motivates me to pay more attention to my health. I only have one body, so I’m going to do my best to take care of it, both physically AND emotionally. 

Rayauna is a sophomore Health Sciences major at Drexel University on the pre-med track. She spends most of her time glued to her computer either doing homework or online window-shopping. She practically lives on the second floor of Hagerty, but when she's not there you can find her sleep-walking to her 8 AM microbiology labs or spending all her dining dollars at Vegetate. She enjoys writing in her spare time, binge-watching Netflix, and catching up on the 50 different TV shows she currently watches.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.