Listen to Ariana Grande’s “No Tears Left to Cry”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

On December 31, 2017, Ariana Grande revealed her last post of the year, with the exact caption: ‘see you next year.’ With her fans itching for her to release new music (and to be frickin’ active), more and more comments popped up on her posts, telling her that they miss her and asking for her to come back to the surface. Finally, just a few days ago, Ariana posted her first Instagram picture of the year, telling everyone that her new single would be released on April 20, 2018, in just two days.

Image courtesy of Exclaim!

Let me just tell you, I have never heard Ariana Grande’s music sound like this. Her voice is smooth and her transition from the slow and sad melody to a fast pop is beautiful. The song has a really good message, where she’s happy and done crying, hence “no tears left to cry.” She sings that she’s in a good state of mind, in a good place.

Her music video was executed so beautifully too. With beautiful imagery and stunning transitions, the video was aesthetically pleasing and you better believe I waited until midnight to watch it when it came out. There was one scene that spoke pretty loudly: she had taken off a mask of her actual face and placed it on the floor with the rest of her masks.

Image courtesy of BreatheHeavy

This scene depicted Ariana taking off one of her masks, which shows that she can’t really show her real emotions 24/7 (since she’s a celebrity, duh). Honestly, there are a lot of scenes in the music video that are so beautiful. Her wardrobe and her hair are PERFECT. The video is really crazy to watch, especially since you basically have to turn your phone constantly if you want to see her upright. Nevertheless, the execution of the music video paired with her song was incredibly beautiful.

Her music video also had a mini-tribute to the Manchester bombing at her concert. At the very end, there was a little bee that flew into frame. This bee represents Manchester, the work ethic and busy bees of Manchester’s Victorian era. That’s such a heartwarming little tribute, especially since it’s almost the one-year anniversary of the tragedy. I enjoyed the whole thing, from the first second to the very last.

On top of all this, she performed her new single at Coachella. Watch the little clip of her performance here. She’s my queen. I will hype her up forever. Seriously, listen and watch the music video if you haven’t already.

Diane Nguyen

Drexel '21

Diane Nguyen is a Drexel University senior from Boston, Massachusetts. As a Global Studies major and Criminal Justice and Chinese double-minor, she is interested in human rights, specifically immigration and environmental law. She also hopes to volunteer for the Peace Corps and be a part of a nonprofit organization that helps child sex trafficking victims recover from their trauma.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.