The International Student’s Guide to Feeling At Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

It’s very interesting and exciting to move to a new country, whether for educational or personal reasons. However, no matter what your reason is for going, it’s always nerve-wracking.

The most important thing you should do when you study in a new country is get out of your room! You may feel awkward and shy, but unless your room is going to be your best friend while you’re an international, get out there. No one is going to come searching for friends in their rooms, and after a while it will become very lonely.

Find people who share your interests. Every school has clubs and organizations. No matter what your interests are or where you come from, there will be a group of people who share the same interests around. If there isn’t a group for that interest already on campus, start your own.

Find organizations for internationals. Every school has measures put in place to make their international students feel comfortable. There are organizations for international students. Find them! Whether you’re African, Indian or no matter your religious preference you’ll find people. This Wednesday, Jan. 15 from 4-6pm in the Bossone Third Floor Atrium, visit the Student Organizations Fair especially organized to highlight resources for international students.

See your advisor. He or she has been employed to help you make the best of your time in college. Set up a meeting during your first month. It’s the first educational resource you need when planning your college life. You might want to change your major or take up a minor at some point and you will need his or her help.

Find an accounting system or budget that works for you. Whether your account contains four thousand or four hundred dollars, you need to find a spending system that works for you. This is because depending on where you come from, receiving money could be tough. If you have a budget in place you can have the things you need and still splurge on a few things you really want. Plan how much you spend in a week, how much you save and use the extra to get something special for yourself.

Plan your schedule. To live a full life, you need to balance your social life with your education. After all, college is supposed to be about expanding horizons and finding yourself. The saying goes that “all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,” but this applies to you too, whether you are named Jack or not. Make time to have some fun! It helps you relax and meet more people. Having fun just doesn’t mean going to parties. Do whatever feels right for you. What is important is that you take time to relax.

Keep in touch with friends back home. Unless you came to school with all your friends from home, keep in touch with them. Remember that you need someone to keep you informed on what’s changed when you eventually go back. Call them, Face Time them, message them, anything just keep in touch. Plus you need someone to call when you hate everyone and everything going on around you.

STUDY!!! It’s the reason you’re here in the first place, and unless you want to leave without a degree, stay on top of your work and assignments. Enough said.

Naa Dedei is a Psychology major with minors in Communication and Writing at Drexel University. Two things she is extremely passionate about are writing and her country, Ghana. Her goal is to study International law and work with the UN or start her own nonprofit to deal with Human Rights issues. Other than posting on her blog, she can be found whipping up a meal in her kitchen or lounging in her couch, either glued to a book, or binge-watching a show on Netflix.
Aubrey Nagle is an English major at Drexel University. She is currently a Features intern at Marie Claire and has previously interned Seventeen and Philadelphia magazine. She loves everything about pop culture and someday hopes to be a culture critic or an Entertainment Director for a women's magazine or national newspaper.To view her clips visit aubreynagle.contently.com and follow her on Twitter @aubsn.