College Fashion week
College Fashion week
Original photo by Jayla Johnson
Style

I Went to College Fashion Week and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Fall is in full swing, and this calls for Fall Fashion’s hottest trends to look out for. On October 5, 2019, I attended my first ever Her Campus College Fashion Week, in Brooklyn, New York at the BKLYN City Studios. This year Her Campus partnered with Primark and had many sponsors such as Venmo, Shea Moisture, LA-PRESH Skincare, Conair and more.  I was looking forward to this night and the many activities Her Campus had in store for us. Upon entering the venue I was gifted with a gift-card to Primark and a Her Campus tote bag full of goodies. I was surprised to see what was inside. Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Clay and Pore cleaning facemasks, XOXO nail polish, Mary Kay Oil-free Makeup Remover, and Nair Leg Clay Mask were just some of the gifts inside. 

Photo Courtesy of Jayla Johnson

As you walked around the venue every corner had something going on. The event was held from 6-8 pm and the fashion show started at 7 p.m. Before the show started you could take photos with the Primark photo wall, design your own t-shirt, get your hair done, create a bouquet box, and most importantly interact with other young, educated fashion lovers. I designed my own shirt, mingled with others and took in this entire experience. I was in awe of how everyone styled their looks from the color choices to the even small details of classic hairpins. Not one look wasn’t on fire! As the hour went by the VIPS sat down in their seats and everyone else soon started to follow. It was time for the show to start.

There were two design styles, 90’s grunge and monotone neutrals. Which perfectly highlighted the fall trends. Each model had their own personality that stood out as soon as they walked down the runway. It was nice to see young ladies having a fun time and owning it! #grlpwr am I right? Each outfit was styled by Primark and everything could be purchased in stores and online. My favorite looks came from the monotone neutrals. The energy throughout the night was amazing, and I am so happy I was able to go and see it all up close and personal! Once the show was finished I continued to talk to other college students and we expressed our love for the fashion industry. Her Campus is doing a phenomenal job of creating such events that allow its members to express themselves and be their unapologetic selves. Right before I left the venue I was able to meet up with my fellow Her Campus writer at Drexel University, Anaya and her friends too.

Photo Courtesy of Jayla Johnson

For this being my first ever Her Campus College Fashion Week, I had a ball! Thank you College Fashionista for gifting me a ticket to attend. I am looking forward to next year’s College Fashion Week in New York and all that Her Campus will bring to the runway. Maybe next year instead of writing from an audience’s point of view I’ll be writing from someone who helped put it all together?! Only time will tell, so from now until then continue being fashionistas at your college and standing out!

Photo Courtesy of Jayla Johnson

Her Campus Drexel contributor.