Style

How to Stay Warm and Stylish this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Winter is officially here. You want your outfit to look cute, but the brisk, cold weather is in the way. Look no further, because these tips and inspiration will help you stay warm but stylish in the cold! And no longer will make you dread dressing up for the winter weather!

1. Layering is key

You’ve definitely heard this before. It’s the most practical way to dress when it’s freezing outside. So pile on the layers!

However, there’s a way to layer without your outfit looking and feeling too heavy and warm.

This is where UNIQLO’s HEATTECH collection comes in handy! The collection features affordable lightweight innerwear pieces (but not your dad’s long johns!) that “generate heat from your body.”  The collection consists of a variety of styles from turtlenecks, tank tops, to leggings – even socks! You can even choose from three levels of warmth – regular HEATTECH, extra warm, or ultra warm, depending on your preference.

HEATTECH allows you to add on the layers without the extra bulk and sacrificing your personal style! My go-to cold weather outfit is layering my favorite sweater over a HEATTECH long sleeve t-shirt and skinny jeans. Also, you can add a pair of tights under your favorite ripped jeans! Innerwear definitely comes in handy for the walk to class and allows for versatility in your current wardrobe!

2. Get a jacket you love

During the winter, your coat is everything. Why not get creative and get a statement coat, which is an easy way to make your simple outfit stylish and – of course you’ll feel warm and toasty. Here’s some of the latest trends:

Puffer Jacket

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

Yes, the puffer jacket. Your mom probably made you wear this staple item growing up and you weren’t a fan. But now, everyone’s wearing it and making it look cool and stylish – and it comes in so many different shapes, cuts, and colors! Add texture to your look with this pink velvet puffer from ASOS! UNIQLO also has a puffer collection, the Ultra Light Down Collection, offered in many styles, cuts, colors!

This jacket will definitely keep you warm and toasty and also add a sporty, street style element to your look!

Kendall and Kylie have been loving the cropped puffer!

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

The perfect comfy layered look for class!

Teddy Coat

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

This has become the warm and cozy staple this season! It adds a chic element to your look and is offered in many different shapes, cuts, and colors! Check out this cropped teddy jacket from Urban Outfitters! If you’re looking for a longer coat, check out this rust teddy coat from ASOS!

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

Hailey Bieber bundles up in a cozy oversized camel teddy coat!

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

Add an oversized teddy coat to your all-black outfit and you’ll look like you put so much effort, when you really didn’t.

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

The I.AM.GIA Pixie coat that started it all.

Wool Coat

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

A classic! You can never go wrong with a long wool coat! Bonus: it will make your whole outfit so put together! A camel or black wool coat is a classic staple everyone needs in their wardrobe! Check out this one from Zara! Also, plaid is such an on-trend print for the fall-winter, so why not be warm and elevate your look with a plaid wool coat! Check this one out from Lulus!

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

Simple and chic!

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

A plaid wool coat makes a jeans and sneakers outfit look so put together!

3. Invest in cool accessories

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

You probably already have your go-to hat, scarf, and gloves. Why not add a pop of color or add cool texture to your cold-weather accessories, especially if you’re coat is a neutral color!

Check out this beanie from UNIQLO, offered in many colors!

Why not brighten your look with this striped scarf from Madewell!

Don’t forget about your hands! Check out these smart texting gloves from Urban Outfitters!

Get yourself a pair of warm, cute socks! They’ll peak out of your favorite boots! Urban Outfitters has a wide selection of different styles!

4. Boots are everything

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

Boots are your go-to shoe during the colder months. They keep your feet and legs warm! Combat boots, particularly Dr. Martens, are making a comeback. Check out this budget-friendly alternative from Lulus!

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

Gigi Hadid is just one of the celebs seen wearing Docs this season! 

Add some edge to your look with these chunky shearling hiking boots from Steve Madden! They’ll also last in the snow!

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

Another classic fall/winter boot is an over the knee boot! These will keep you feeling warm and stylish! Check out this black suede pair from ASOS!

Image Courtesy on Pinterest

There you have it! Have fun with your winter fashion and stay warm!

Nicole is currently treasurer at Drexel's chapter of Her Campus. She is a senior majoring in Design & Merchandising and loves writing about anything style, beauty and food related. In her spare time, she loves keeping up with celeb-news and binging the latest TV shows. She can usually be found trying out new restaurants in Philly with her friends and finding the next place to travel to.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.