This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

It can make you homesick not going home for Thanksgiving and it might be your first time not being home for a major holiday. You may be alone or some of your friends maybe staying on campus. There’s still a bunch of fun things you can do if you’re spending Thanksgiving away from home.   

Image courtesy of Alison Marras on Unsplash

Philanthropy

Sometimes, it’s easy to forget that Thanksgiving isn’t all about the turkey. Thanksgiving is about showing appreciation for what you’re thankful for. Use this day to take part in a good deed by volunteering in your community. Some schools may have programs in place for volunteering on Thanksgiving or check out your local soup kitchen, nonprofit organizations, churches, clinics, etc. This is also a great way to get involved in a volunteer project if you want to do so. Many people volunteer during the Holidays, so continuing to volunteer year-round will make a huge difference. It’s a great opportunity to do something good for the community, while also meeting new people. 

Friendsgiving

Do you have some friends staying on campus? If so, host (or go to) a Friendsgiving! This is a great way to get a Thanksgiving meal while being with some of your favorite people. Instead of being stuck in your dorm alone, you get to celebrate. Save some money along the way by asking people to bring some pieces so you don’t have to do everything yourself. Don’t have any friends staying at school? Ask people on the floor of your dorm if they’re staying! It’s a great way to meet new people. 

Skype or Facetime

One of the perks of living in 2018 is the capability of modern technology. While you physically cannot be there, you can be there virtually. Have your parents set up a spot for you using their iPad, phone, or laptop so you can join in on the conversation. More than likely, you will get so involved that you will forget that you aren’t even sitting there! 

Get a Thanksgiving to go Meal

Did you know that numerous restaurants have a special Thanksgiving menu? Some have turkey, pie, and other Thanksgiving meal items packaged up, so you can order it special. You can also do this if your hosting a Friendsgiving and don’t want to cook! However, plan ahead and call a few days in advance to make sure you get your order in before everyone else as a lot of people who cannot cook end up ordering out on Thanksgiving. 

Early Black Friday Shopping

Most stores are now opening Thanksgiving night and have sales every hour throughout the night. Sift through the flyers and plan your stops out during the day. Spending your night with a ton of other people, while buying Christmas presents for your favorite people is a great way to have fun over the holiday. 

Being away at college means that there’s probably going to be a bunch of firsts in your life. It may be your first-time spending Thanksgiving away from home, but you can still have a great time. Spend some time with your family online, indulge in a good meal, and hang out with friends. Do what you want and make the most of it.   

Kassidy is a dual marketing and legal studies major at Drexel University in Philadelphia. When she's not in class, you can find her binging a new Netflix series, reading, or standing in line at Starbucks.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.