How People Across the U.S. Celebrate Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Image courtesy of Books for Better Living

Thanksgiving is a holiday that everyone looks forward to, especially college students. That feeling of going home to your comfortable bed, seeing your excited family and friends, and stuffing your face with mouthwatering meals is truly one-of-a-kind. When you picture Thanksgiving, you may think of a piping hot turkey, cheering on your favorite football team, and scouring deals in preparation for Black Friday. But, do you ever wonder what kinds of dishes appear on tables and what types of activities people partake in on this holiday? Here are some traditions and foods from around the U.S. that you may not have known about!

What People Do In…

New York – Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Image courtesy of destination360

This well-known parade is a sight you probably watched on television as a kid growing up. Many flock to see this iconic celebration on Thanksgiving morning, featuring the Radio City Rockettes, the talented performers and of course, the much-anticipated balloons and floats! Some of the familiar faces you may see this year are Hello Kitty, Charlie Brown and the Pillsbury Dough Boy. If you can’t make it to the chilly streets of New York, gather around the television with your family and enjoy the parade while you wait for the turkey to bake! This year, you can catch the 2017 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC at 9 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning!

Massachusetts – Plimoth Plantation

Do you remember learning about the Thanksgiving between the colonists and the Native Americans in elementary school? Take yourself back in time and re-live what it was like in the 1600s to have a holiday feast. Located in Plymouth, Massachusetts, you can visit Plimoth Plantation, receive a historic tour from role-playing Pilgrims and Native Americans, and even get served a traditional New England Thanksgiving buffet! If you are really into the rich culture and history of Thanksgiving and the United States, this way of celebrating is definitely for you.

Michigan – Detroit Lions Thanksgiving Day Game

Image courtesy of NFL.com

Football is one of the major Thanksgiving staples that brings people together. Whether it’s watching a game on television or seeing one in person at your old high school, it’s great that team spirit can unite people on a day where it’s important to be thankful. Since 1934, the Detroit Lions have played on Thanksgiving Day every single year. The tradition started when they were a new team who had to face the undefeated Chicago Bears. The Bears ended up winning against the Lions, but from that day on, every Thanksgiving reminds Lions fans of the proud and passionate team they call theirs. This year’s game against the Minnesota Vikings airs on FOX at 12:30 ET.

What People Eat In…

Louisiana – Shrimp-Stuffed Mirlitons

Image courtesy of Food Network

In the Gulf Coast, seafood has to make an appearance at Thanksgiving! Mirlitons are a type of squash that can be stuffed with shrimp and seasoned with many spices to make a dish that is sure to satisfy your taste buds at the Thanksgiving table this year. Chef David Guas has shared his own family’s special recipe so you can bring a bit of Louisiana to your loved ones.

Washington – Glazed Shiitake Mushrooms with Bok Choy

For those who cannot eat meat or are a bigger fan of vegetable dishes, this glazed shiitake mushrooms with bok choy recipe will have you rushing to the grocery store to grab the ingredients. With an Asian-American influence, this meal is an example of how different cultures can mesh during holidays and contribute to a cultural group’s own version of Thanksgiving.

Kansas – Harvey House Candied Sweet Potatoes

Image courtesy of The New York Times

For a side dish or dessert, consider baking these amazing candied sweet potatoes. Confectioners’ sugar and butter help make this recipe so delicious and sweet to the taste. Fred Harvey, the owner of Harvey House restaurants, created this invention that appeared in one of his cookbooks. Years later, many people enjoy having sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving and Harvey’s recipe is just one of several ways to fill your stomach with this mouthwatering food!

Whether you are enjoying a game of football on TV and scarfing down potatoes, or cheering on your favorite balloons at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, there is no doubt that this holiday brings our nation together to celebrate what we are most thankful for and remind ourselves that we are blessed.

Rachel is a senior at Drexel University majoring in Design & Merchandising. She dreams of traveling the world and loves to learn about new cultures and languages. She also aspires to be the editor-in-chief of her own fashion magazine one day. You can find her binge watching Vanderpump Rules, eating way too much mac & cheese, dancing to her favorite songs and exploring when she goes city-hopping!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.