How to DIY Your Graduation Cap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Graduation is just a day or two away and one of the things I’ve looked forward to most is the chance to decorate my cap! Finals are done and I now have time to craft a graduation cap that I am proud of. There are so many options when it comes to decorating a graduation cap. Just think of all the supplies that stores like AC Moore and Michael’s carry! Any one of those things can be incorporated onto your cap. The possibilities are endless.

Maybe there is a quote that you consider your life motto or a line from a song or movie that has resonated with you over the years. Your graduation cap is the perfect place for you to put that quote for others to see. I am currently toying with the idea of using a line from a song by The Killers since they are my favorite band. In terms of quotes, I have seen everything from “To Infinity and Beyond” to “Thanks for the Memories” and a lot in between. It is all about personal preference.

Now for those who would like to go a little less sentimental and more hilarious, there are so many puns that can be used. Pinterest is a goldmine when it comes to needing inspiration for a graduation cap. One that caught a lot of people’s attention was the clever person who wrote “Game of Loans” in the font from “Game of Thrones.” Another person chose “Because Hogwarts didn’t Take FAFSA.” Other grads even choose to use graduation as a platform to get hired for a job and say something like “Hire Me Please” or “May the Job Offers be Ever in Your Favor.”

Anything goes when you’re decorating your cap. Maybe instead of words, you want to use imagery. If you like to travel, I have seen people who have covered there cap with a map and that even leaves you with the option of circling the places you want to go or that you already know that you’re going after graduation. Other people have chosen to collage meaningful pictures they have taken over the past few years.

For those of you who love some sparkle, now is your chance to completely cover your cap in rhinestones or glitter. If you really want to get crazy, you can even include different colored rhinestones and perhaps the Drexel logo or an outline of Mario. Rhinestones can be used to outline words so to make them easier to read from far away, too.

For girls in sororities, your cap is a great place to “throw what you know.” You may choose to include your crest or even a line from your creed. I have seen a lot of monograms and bows, too.

One of the most popular choices for a graduation cap is a shout out to mom and dad. Many of us have a lot to thank them for and we would not have the opportunity to attend and graduate college without them. Another popular choice is to acknowledge the hard work we’ve done and say something like, “The Tassel’s Worth the Hassle.”

Here is a list of things you may want to grab when you’re at the craft store:

1. Stickers (letters for quotes, etc.)
  2. Hot glue gun/glue sticks
  3. Rhinestones
  4. Studs
  5. Pearls
  6. Ribbon
  7. Paint/brushes
  8. Decorative paper
  9. Feathers
  10. Glitter

With so many options, make sure it is something that you

1. 1. Can successfully execute
  2. Are happy with being in countless pictures.

If you simply can’t decide on one idea, it is totally possible to incorporate a few! I can’t wait until I am sitting at graduation and looking around to see just how creative people got with their caps!

Lisa is a senior at Drexel University studying Design and Merchandising. Her favorite things are shopping, reading fashion magazines and daydreaming about London per her recent study abroad trip there. Lisa has an obsession with celebrities and is a wealth of useless knowledge when it comes to pop culture. Adhering to the latest fashion and beauty trends is like a full time job for Lisa- she loves trying every new look and product.
Aubrey Nagle is an English major at Drexel University. She is currently a Features intern at Marie Claire and has previously interned Seventeen and Philadelphia magazine. She loves everything about pop culture and someday hopes to be a culture critic or an Entertainment Director for a women's magazine or national newspaper.To view her clips visit aubreynagle.contently.com and follow her on Twitter @aubsn.