How to Create Your Own Fitness Class Pass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

When thinking of Philadelphia, do cheesesteaks, pretzels, and outstanding microbreweries come to mind? You’re not wrong. These yummy hallmarks of Philly’s culture are part of the reason why six years ago, the city earned the unsavory title of the most obese and diabetic metropolitan city in America. Philly has since lost that title, but staying healthy here isn’t always easy (we’re looking at you, Halal carts and food trucks). Drexel students are infamously overwhelmed by stress and expenses and the last thing most students are concerned about is working out.

After all, it seems like someone is always using the equipment or weights you need at the gym. The studio classes, while free, are usually uncomfortably packed. Sometimes it seems so much easier to grab Halal on the way home from classes and plan to go for a run next week. Maybe you’ve thought about trying those cool boutique fitness classes you hear about from your friends, but paying upwards of $20 for one class makes your wallet actually cringe. Sound familiar?

We decided to do some digging and locate the most popular studios in Philly to get your sweat on. The best part is, since they all offer at least one free class to new students, you can get a feel for a variety of workouts and maybe even find one worth the splurge of a membership. Read on to find out more about each studio and hopefully find your best ‘fit’!

1. Body Cycle Spin Studio

1923 Chestnut St., Floor 2, Rittenhouse Square

The Deal: Your first class is free, and with the student discount offered you can sign up for unlimited rides for $100 per month or $13 per individual class you take.

The Workout: In a boutique studio overlooking Rittenhouse Square, fitness instructors guide you through your workout of choice. With classes ranging from music-pumped cardio sessions to endurance training, you’re bound to find one that works for you!

2. CKO Kickboxing

1616 Walnut St., Suite B2, Center City

The Deal: Your orientation and first class are free with the exception of purchasing a pair of MMA-style gloves (kudos to you if you own them already). These gloves are essential for protecting your hands and you can purchase them right from the studio. CKO only offers monthly memberships; there are no pay-as-you-go classes. See a representative for pricing options.

The Workout: Rows of real, 150-lb bags line the black and gold studio space of CKO. If you’re new to kickboxing, an instructor will guide you through a one-on-one orientation of the kicks and punches you’ll throw during the hour long, kick-a** class. Your next hour will be filled with sequences of those kicks and punches, broken up by conditioning exercises like planks, lunges, pushups, and everything in between. You’re free to go at your own pace and work as hard (or as gently) as you want.

3. Corepower Yoga

1616 Walnut St., Suite B1, Center City

The Deal: Your first week of unlimited classes is free, and with a student discount you can choose between a Black Tag membership costing $125 per month for unlimited classes, or a pay-as-you-go plan, which charges $18 per individual class.

The Workout: Choose from the widest array of yoga and fitness classes you’ve ever seen offered at a single studio. Options include heated and non-heated classes, fundamental classes for beginners, advanced classes for experienced yoga practitioners, several circuits of core, and boot camp style classes. Believe us when we say there’s something here for everyone. A week barely seems like enough time to try it all out!

4. Lithe Method Studio

Studios at 255 South 17th St., Floor 2, Rittenhouse Square and 219 Cuthbert Street, Floor 4, Old City

The Deal: Your first class at Lithe Method is complimentary, with the option to later purchase a one-a-day class card for $125 per month or a $50 five-class card.

The Workout: Self-described as Cardio Cheer Sculpting, the workouts at Lithe Method are guaranteed to be like nothing you’ve ever tried before. Each class utilizes conditioning drills derived from cheer, as well as free weights, resistance training, and a barre to workout your entire body by strengthening your muscles and firing up your heart rate. It’s without a doubt the chicest workout we’ve found in Philly!

Next time you feel like breaking up the monotony of your gym routine on campus, you know where to break a sweat for free in the city. With spring upon us, you can up the ante (and your heart rate) with a quick jog to any of these studio locales! Plus, there are plenty of other fitness studios in the area that offer student discounts, even if your first class isn’t free.

Jenna Adrian is a student at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. She studies Design & Merchandising. She's currently paving the way to create a career that will unite her passion for both style and government policy reform. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, running, and learning the in's and out's of city culture. You can find her at a coffee shop, a networking event, or brainstorming for her latest article. Check out her thoughts on coffee, fashion, and life in the city on her personal blog, & some like it haute. 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.