High Heel Derby Preview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

This year is the 4th annual High Heel Derby. The High Heel Derby is a philanthropy event put on by the  Drexel Panhellenic Council. This year, the event will take place on May 14th from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

It is a multi-divisional race where all of the contestants wear high heels and compete to see who reaches the finish line first. All of the proceeds go towards the Circle of Sisterhood, which is a foundation whose main purpose is to help break down educational barriers for women around the world.

The High Heel Derby is usually frequented by fraternity men and sorority women, but it is open to the entire Drexel community as well. Each contestant pays a $15 registration fee, and each of them has to raise $53. Why? Well, $53 is the amount of money that is necessary to send a girl to school for an entire year. The cost includes meals, school supplies, and her uniform. Contestants used to raise $50, which is 95 percent of the price of attending school for a year. However, this year it was decided that each of them should raise enough to meet 100 percent of the cost. The High Heel Derby normally raises approximately $1,500, but this year’s goal is $3000!

This year, the theme for the event is the Kentucky Derby, so break out your wildest hats and best Southern attire! Along with free food and a bouncy house, you also have a chance to win great raffle prizes including a signed Philadelphia Flyers hockey puck!

For more information on the High Heel Derby, go to the Facebook page or circleofsisterhood.org!

Orly is a Venezuelan senior at Drexel University majoring in Public Relations and double minoring in marketing and writing. In her free time, you can find her in a coffee shop writing, color-coding her way through life or binge watching One Tree Hill for the fifth time. She manages HCD's Facebook page as well as their Twitter and hopes to make a career out of social media someday.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.