yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Fun Fall Foods to Make with Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Just because you live in a dorm doesn’t mean that it’s impossible to make fall foods. We found some fall recipes that you can give a shot this Thanksgiving season! Making these recipes is a great way to bond with your roommates, suitemates, and floormates. Enjoy!

1. Tea Latte  

Image courtesy of Jessica Gavin

INGREDIENTS: (this makes enough to serve 8)

• 8 tea bags (black tea, chamomile, green, rooibos, chai) or 4 teaspoons matcha powder 
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 3 cups milk 
  • Sweetener – to taste (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Steep 8 tea bags in 1 cup boiling hot water for 5 minutes, or according to tea instructions. This will yield a concentrated tea for the lattes.
  2. Warm milk in a medium-sized saucepan. You want the milk near but not rapidly boiling. If you have a milk frother, you can use it to create foam for the lattes.
  3. In 4 large mugs add ¼ cup tea concentrate, ¾ cups milk and foam if available.
  4. Add sweetener and toppings if desired.
Recipe courtesy of jesicagavin.com

There will be plenty for roommates to enjoy and to have a second cup!

2. Cheesecake in a Mug   

Image courtesy of kirbiecravings.com  

Feel free to add some pumpkin spice seasoning or allspice seasoning to this recipe to get it a tad bit more fall-ish. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS: 

For Cheesecake:

• 4 tbsp cream cheese, softened (or cream cheese spread)
  • 2 tbsp plain nonfat Greek yogurt 
  • 2 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar 
  • 1 large egg, whisked
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla

For the crust: 

• 4 tbsp graham cracker crumbs 
  • 1 tbsp melted butter   

INSTRUCTIONS:   

1. Grease the inside of a microwave-safe mug (both interior sides and bottom). Add graham cracker crumbs and melted butter, and mix well.
  2. Press down on the crumbs with your fingers to form a crust at bottom of the mug. Apply some pressure.
  3. In a medium bowl, add egg, cream cheese, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla. Using a small whisk, mix until batter is smooth. There may still be tiny lumps of cream cheese left.
  4.  Pour batter into mug. Cover top of the mug with a paper towel and microwave for 1 minute at full power.
  5.  Mug cake should be mostly cooked except center. Pause to check on it, then microwave for another 20 seconds. Stop again, and microwave for another 20 seconds. Then microwave for one final round of 20 seconds.The Cake should be completely cooked. You don’t want to microwave the entire amount at once because the batter may overheat and splatter. If you have greased your mug, the cheesecake should have pulled away from the sides of the mug. Gently slide cheesecake out of the mug. Let it cool at room temperature for a few minutes. Place in the fridge to cool and set for at least 1 hour. You should let the cheesecake cool and set before eating. It will not taste like cheesecake if you try to eat it right away. 

Recipe courtesy of kirbiecravings.com  

3. Baked Apple Chips 

Image courtesy of Pixabay  

This recipe is super easy to make and the combination of apples and cinnamon can’t help but make me think of apple cider. This should be done in the communal kitchen because you will need an oven.

INGREDIENTS:  

• 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
  • Cinnamon – to taste 

INSTRUCTIONS:   

1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the pieces of sliced apple on top.
  2.  Sprinkle with cinnamon (to taste). Bake at 275 degrees for two hours. After 60 minutes, turn them over so they bake evenly.
  3.  You should check on them after 60 minutes and every 30 minutes after that because oven cook times vary and you don’t want to burn them.
  4.  Once they look nice and crispy remove them from the oven and allow to cool.

Recipe credit skinnyms.com 

4. Pumpkin Pie in a Mug

Image courtesy of missinformationblog.com

I don’t know what food says fall more than pumpkin pie? Once again, you can make this one is a mug! Yeah, I know, that’s pretty great! You and your roommate can each make your own and then throw on some Halloween favorite flicks. 

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 teaspoon butter 
  • 2 gingersnap cookies, crushed
  •  1/3 cup pumpkin puree
  •  1 egg 
  • 1 tablespoon milk/cream 
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Melt butter in a mug and press crushed gingersnaps into the bottom to form a crust. 
  2. Separately mix the pumpkin puree, egg, milk, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice, then pour into the mug with the crust.
  3. Microwave for 2-5 minutes, checking to see if it’s finished by inserting a knife into the center (if it comes out clean, it’s done).  

Recipe courtesy of Society19.com 

All of these recipes would be really fun to do with friends! Consider giving them a shot.

Studying fashion design at Drexel University.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.