Flowers, Films, and Fun: A Philadelphia Flower Show Review

“Ready, Set, Bloom” is the tag line for the 2015 Philadelphia Flower Show this year as horticulture and pop culture collide to create beautiful and nostalgia-inducing floral displays. With a theme of “In the Movies” to play around with, the designers were able to choose from their favorite films (mostly Disney) to create truly awe-worthy displays. The smell was awe-worthy as well, with my nose detecting significant scents of flora and popcorn. I’ve listed a few of my favorite movie depictions but highly encourage you make your own way over the Pennsylvania Convention Center, because no matter how hard I try,  I really can’t bring this show’s unique scent through the screen.

1. The Red Carpet

If you happen to enter the flower show any other way besides walking on the red carpet underneath the large marquee sign, you should probably take the quickest exit and re-enter through the main entrance to get the full effect of being welcomed to the movie-themed extravaganza. Decorated tastefully with colorful flowers and other movie theater characteristics, it truly feels like you’re entering a Hollywood premiere. Familiar movie tunes are playing on the screen on the other side, completing the cinematic atmosphere. This is also the best place to get an overall view of the flower show, since the main displays are right past the red carpet awaiting your gaze. 

2. Tarzan

One of the first displays after walking under the entrance design is a jungle garden, complete with large plants and leaves with the occasional animal statute peeking out behind the plethora of green. The incorporation of the wooden treehouse helped it take center stage while still allowing the various plants to play a large role. Palm trees adorned the back of the scene, casting a shadow over the bamboo house and the chimp hanging from the porch. Hints of yellow, orange, and pink flowers could be seen in the surrounding bushes, adding an appropriate touch of color to an environment typically known for being green. 

3. Frozen

We all knew a Frozen display had to be there. Standing on its own towards the middle of the Convention Center, an enchanting array of various white flowers created a set that almost made me wish for more snow (emphasis on almost). The enjoyable thing about this display that the consistency of color allowed my mind to focus on other details, like flower shapes, their organization, and the twinkling snowflakes hanging from above. As with most of the displays, the characters were left out of the scene, allowing for the focus to be on the detail of the landscape, something often forgotten after the closing credits. 

4. Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas

As all of my friends know, I am a huge Tim Burton fan so I was quite excited that a whole display was dedicated to the creatures and characters present in his Halloween classic. Due to the darker, more contrasting colors in his movies, the display really stood out from its neighbors. The golden sun with black curly moon silhouette touring over the display also helped in this regard, but I digress. The other unique characteristic of this display was its willingness to recreate characters from the movie. Since there are so many odd looking citizens in the movie, it just added another way to stand out from the crowd in a typical Tim Burton fashion. 

5. Finding Nemo

Not many would tackle creating an underwater scene with above-water plants, but this display creatively integrated plants that looked like they actually belonged on the sea floor. Because of the abstract theme, characters were vital to obviously convey the movie that inspired the design. Simple cutouts of Merlin and Dory were placed among the fauna to depict their swimming adventure. The “butt” hung from above with the collection of pesky seagulls looking down from a dock hoisted above the scene. This display took on the challenge of playing with levels and did so successfully. The beauty of Finding Nemo was its ability to tell a story from the sea and from the land, something this display incorporates swimmingly (pun intended). 

6. The Parent Trap

Probably the display I was most anxious for was the Parent Trap one. Paying homage to the suitably titled cabin Serendipity, these two “separated-at-birth” sisters were brought together in a way that made every pre-teen want to go to summer camp to find a long-lost sibling. Nestled in the back corner with a mini lake, dock, and fake campfire, the wild brush had enough detail to truly look like the scene from the movie. A backpack suitable for a hike was resting in the back left corner, allowing anyone familiar with the movie to question if there was a lizard on the water bottle or some rocks carefully added to the pack. Although, with how natural and abundant the plants were, I wouldn’t be surprised if a small gecko was spotted scampering along the path to the cabin. 

From the Supercalifragilistic tulip garden accompanied by hanging kites, to the white dining room table adorned with a glass slipper centerpiece, it’s obvious how much of an influence Disney played in the movie choices. Being a corporate sponsor certainly helped, but can anyone really be surprised that so many movie choices would come from their collection? Cartoons and classics are something everyone knows, can recognize, and can enjoy. Despite the overwhelming presence of Disney films, I truly enjoyed the magical atmosphere that encompassed the Pennsylvania Convention Center. 

Lindsey is a senior at Drexel University, majoring in operations management & bus. analytics. She has been with Her Campus Drexel for four years and was CC for the middle two. Along with living the city life, she takes an active interest in street style, putting together puzzles and binge-watching her current Netflix obsession. She actually calls Montana her true home so now you can say you know that someone actually lives there ;). When she's in Philly, you can find her in Center City scouring the racks of thrift stores, Old Navy, and H&M if she's not on campus enjoying the multiple food trucks or catching up on the readings she put off until the last day.