This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Now that we’re transitioning from wearing shorts and sandals to jackets and boots, it’s only a matter of time before winter is here. Before it’s too cold to go outside, get out of your comfort zone and see what Philly has to offer! We’ve compiled a list of several events happening around the city that will appeal to food lovers, artsy types and bibliophiles. Happy fall, collegiettes!

Night Market at the Navy Yard

October 6th

The Night Market is one of the go-to festivals for foodies! During this event, which only takes place four times a year, people have the opportunity to try out different food trucks while also exploring a neighborhood they may not be familiar with. Chinatown, University City and Roxborough have all hosted this festival along with other neighborhoods. The last Night Market event of 2016 will be happening at the Navy Yard, a historic area of Philly right on the waterfront.

Old City Fest

October 9th

Over 100 businesses are participating in this free festival, which showcases art, fashion, food and entertainment. If you haven’t had a chance to explore the culture and architecture of Old City, this event is the perfect excuse to do so!

Harry Potter Festival

October 21st – 22nd

Muggles rejoice! The Harry Potter Festival returns to Chestnut Hill. Aside from the cosplayers, visitors will also be able to see the Brotherly Love Cup Quidditch Tournament, attend a Sorting Hat ceremony, drink butterbeer during the Harry Potter Pub Crawl, and see how the townspeople transform their stores and restaurants into look-alike locations from the series. Chestnut Hill is only a SEPTA train ride away (or should I say a quick ride on the Hogwarts Express?).

Nightscape at Longwood Gardens

Now – October 29th (Wednesday through Saturday only)

Nightscape: A Light and Sound Experience is a choreographed show where lights, music, and images are projected onto the plants in an amazing display. Longwood Gardens, located in the Kennett Square area, is a horticulturist’s dream but the show, which only plays after dark, shows nature like you’ve never seen it before.

Terror Behind the Walls

Now – November 5th

Eastern State Penitentiary is home to the largest haunted house in the country. Within the walls of this abandoned prison are six attractions (Lock Down, Infirmary, Detritos, Break Out, Machine Shop and Quarantine) filled with zombies, animatronics and lights. For an even scarier experience, visitors are given the option to wear a glow in the dark necklace if they don’t mind being grabbed by ghouls.

First Person Arts Festival

November 7 – 9th

The everyday people and artists who attend this festival are there to share their real life experiences on stage through standup comedy, storytelling, theater and even puppet shows. This year First Person Arts is celebrating the 15th anniversary of their event and will have award-winning artists, including Ntozake Shange and Yolanda Wisher, in attendance.

Rothman Ice Rink at Dilworth Park

TBA

In the warmer months, Dilworth Park’s main feature is a fountain, a restaurant and outdoor seating. But during the late fall, this park, which is located just outside of City Hall, becomes home to the Rothman Ice Rink. There is no word yet on when exactly the rink will reopen, but our fingers are crossed hoping that it will be sometime in mid-November. Come for the ice skating, stay for the cool Instagram pics.

The Philadelphia Marathon

November 18th – 20th

Whether you’re a runner or just someone who’s fitness and health conscious, the Philadelphia Marathon has something for you. Aside from a marathon, a half-marathon, and an 8K run, there is also a Health and Fitness Expo where you can learn running tips, shop for athletic clothing, and stock up on samples of nutritious products.

Jurassic World: The Exhibition at The Franklin Institute

November 25th – April  23rd, 2017

The Franklin Institute’s upcoming Jurassic Park-inspired exhibit promises to give visitors a nostalgic feeling by trying to recreate the park from the films. You’ll also be able to learn more about some pretty cool dinosaurs.

Since University City typically has so many events and resources, it’s easy as a Drexel student to forget about other parts of the city. Hopefully these events will help you take advantage of the diversity in Philadelphia. Get out and go exploring!

Sarah is a Marketing and Technology & Innovation Management major from Brooklyn, NY. In her free time she enjoys reading lifestyle/fashion/beauty blogs and literature, trying to get her life together, watching Netflix, and spending an unhealthy amount of time on social media. 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.