This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Erin Express is a St. Patrick’s Day bar crawl that has been going on in Philadelphia for over thirty years. There are buses that go to different bars that run through the city on the two Saturday’s leading up to St. Patty’s Day. This year EE will take place on March 7thth and 14th. Below are some helpful tips to keep in mind for both before and after, if you’re venturing out during our traditional Drexel activity.

BEFORE:

Get all of your homework and studying done beforehandThe next two weekends are going to be consumed with 7 am Saturday morning pre-games and endless day drinking, so it’s a good idea to get all of your work done ahead of time. A hangover and a final paper due Monday morning don’t really go well together.

Buy all of your festive apparelStores like Five Below and The Dollar Store put out all of their St. Patrick’s Day gear right after Valentine’s Day so don’t wait to get your outfits. Anything and everything green goes. Have fun with what you wear! Don’t be afraid to get creative.

Remember to bring cashIt will be easier to get a drink while avoiding the need to sign any receipts if you bring cash instead of having to pay with your card. It will also come in handy when you’re ready for that pizza and fries, all to yourself.

Get a good night’s sleepThis may sound self explanatory, but it’s totally necessary. The last thing you want to do is sleep through your alarm and miss the day’s festivities! Plus you want to have enough energy so a good night’s sleep is a must.

Wear comfortable shoes and a light jacketYou’re going to be on your feet for most of the day so definitely wear shoes that are comfortable. Also, despite the forecast, it can get extremely hot inside the bars so you should wear a light jacket that you can throw into your bag or tie around your waist.

AFTER:

After a long day of drinking and fun, it’s important to take care of yourself and take steps to avoid the dreaded hangover and 12 hours in bed. Try these three things to get you back on your feet that much faster.

Rehydrate with Vitamin Water:Water full of electrolytes and potassium will help you get hydrated again,  and it doesn’t hurt that it tastes good too. It’s important to remember that you will get tired and probaly end up with a terrible headache since alcohol makes you dehydrated. Drinking fluids with a boost is the best way to avoid the dreaded hangover and return some nutrients to your body.

Carbs:Carbs may not be diet-friendly, but they will bring your levels of sugar back up to help you ease of the nasty aftermath of drinking. When you drink, your liver focuses on just metabolizing the alcohol, which is why you feel tired and irritated. Eat some toast or a slice of pizza (hello AXIS) to help your body feel better.

Aspirin:This is always a go-to when warding off an impending headache. Follow the instructions on the bottle for the correct dosage and supplement with fluids and food (see above).

For any collegiettes 21 and over, Erin Express is a fun time. If you decide to go out and enjoy this day, take care of yourself and follow this survival guide to make the best out of it! And with these tips, may it be your best Erin Express yet!

Lauren is a junior at Drexel University, double majoring in Finance and Marketing. When she's not hitting the books or the gym, you can find her at brunch or out shopping in the city. Her all time favorite things include spending time with her family and friends, the beach, and anything fashion related.
Orly is a Venezuelan senior at Drexel University majoring in Public Relations and double minoring in marketing and writing. In her free time, you can find her in a coffee shop writing, color-coding her way through life or binge watching One Tree Hill for the fifth time. She manages HCD's Facebook page as well as their Twitter and hopes to make a career out of social media someday.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.