A Drexel Specific Freshman Packing Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

All of us here at Her Campus Drexel are getting quite excited for the new school year to start, along with the new freshmen headed to campus in two months! We all know Drexel isn’t like every other school, whether it be our location, our co-op system, or our awesome mascot. As an addition to the typical stuff you’ll see on the “college packing lists” all over the web (like HC’s Pick it or Skip it), our staff has compiled a list of things all DU Freshmen NEED for a successful and fabulous freshman year! 

1. A Reusable filtered water bottle or Brita pitcher

Many will tell you not to drink from the faucet here, like our staff member Kiarah,  “because Philadelphia water is gross”. Having a reusable water bottle makes it easy to stay hydrated throughout the day since you can toss it in your bag before heading out the door to class. “The Hydration Stations are great, but there aren’t too many of those” warns HC Drexel founder Aubrey, so “having a filtered bottle solves all [these] problems”. A Brita filter comes in handy to keep in your fridge when you’re relaxing in your dorm and looking for a cool glass of water. Along with making water safer to drink, it’s environmentally friendly! You can pick up some really cute ones online or at Target/Walmart. 

2. For commuters, get a locker on campus! 

From one of our commuters on staff, Linda suggests getting one of the commuter lockers around campus to keep “rain gear, gym clothing, non perishable foods, an extra hat, & pair of gloves for those pesky days when the weather changes suddenly. Hauling tons of stuff (think books, laptops, etc) to class can get old, so limiting the amount you have to bring back and forth can make the commute much more enjoyable. 

3. Having one (or many!) dresses on hand for formal events & parties

Staff member Ashley, remembers there being “some frat or sorority formal every weekend, so if you’re planning on being a part of that scene you should bring a fancy dress… or like 4”.  So if you are planning on joining Greek Life, partaking in the fine dining establishments in Center City, or want to do Fancy Friday at the Hans, bring something fancy, girly, and fun.

4. Pepper spray for when you have to walk to the Library … or Insomnia Cookies in the dark

Although Drexel University has one of the safest schools in the nation, you can never be too careful. Blue lights are great and all but they don’t always make a collegiette feel safe walking back to the dorm late at night. Ashley also suggests bringing “pepper spray for when you’re coming home from the library late at night”. That Insomnia Cookie run sounds like a great idea, until you realize it’s 1 am and the campus suddenly turned spooky. With pepper spray by your side, you’ll be able to hit up Ed’s, 7-11, and the library late into the night. 

5. Grocery cart/suitcase

Drexel is conveniently located directly in-between Trader Joe’s (22nd & Market) and Fresh Grocers (40th & Walnut). After you’ve decided which store to pledge complete loyalty to, you’ll realize the walk gets quite tiresome when you have two heavy bags of groceries and 8 blocks to go. If you’re just planning on getting smaller items or a small amount of groceries, staff member Cassie suggests using a backpack since “most students …already have one”. For the bigger hauls, a grocery cart or a bag with wheels will make this journey much simpler and more enjoyable. If you can’t find a cart, Ashley “recommend[s] getting a cute suitcase that’s easy to carry” and will save your arms from inevitable strain. 

6. A stapler 

A seemingly basic school supply, we know, but you’d be surprised how many people find themselves without a stapler right before they need to turn in a paper. Kiarah speaks from experience, claiming most professors “will not accept papers held together by a paper-clip and trying to find a stapler in class is almost impossible”. Keep a mini one in your bag for emergencies like these, and you’ll be known as the prepared one in class, which always comes with a tiny amount of respect and a whole lot of gratitude. 

7. A printer 

Trust us on this one when we tell you to get a printer. The only printing available on campus is down in the Club Haggerty(the Library) or in the Drexel Copy Center. You have to pay for each page with money on your dragon card and it can get annoying fast. Having one in your dorm makes life much easier if you need to print something for class or want to work on your paper until the wee hours of the morning. Coordinate with your roommate to see if you can share a printer and swap off ink and paper duties. 

8.  A bank nearby with ATMs on campus. Think TD or Franklin Mutual

If you’re not from the area, getting cash fast can be a hassle. One of our staff members, Lauren, suggests “mak[ing] sure that you bank is nearby so that you can take out money easily,” like if you need money for food trucks or the vending machines. Another staff member, Sarah, “found [it] useful … [to have] a TD Bank checking account since there are a ton of TD ATMs on campus.” CVS on 34th and Walnut does allow cash back with every card transaction, but going over there can get pretty tiresome every time you need a 20. 

9. Walking shoes 

Our campus has hills, and you have to walk them as a freshman, consider it a type of mandatory, class-wide hazing. Make sure you’ve got plenty of cute shoes with enough support for your feet so you can manage several walks up the hill a day. Great walking shoes will also make exploring UPenn and Center City more enjoyable. Nothing’s worse than having sore feet in the city while knowing you have to go stand and wait for the subway or bus to take you back.

There you have it, your supplemental Drexel packing list! Welcome Class of 2018/2019! 

Lindsey is a senior at Drexel University, majoring in operations management & bus. analytics. She has been with Her Campus Drexel for four years and was CC for the middle two. Along with living the city life, she takes an active interest in street style, putting together puzzles and binge-watching her current Netflix obsession. She actually calls Montana her true home so now you can say you know that someone actually lives there ;). When she's in Philly, you can find her in Center City scouring the racks of thrift stores, Old Navy, and H&M if she's not on campus enjoying the multiple food trucks or catching up on the readings she put off until the last day.