Career

Drexel Senior Turned Jewelry Mogul: Camilla Barcan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

“You shouldn’t limit yourself as a young professional. Follow your passion.” These were the closing words Camilla Barcan had when asked what advice she would give to someone looking to start a small business. Now a senior in Design & Merchandising (D&M) at Drexel, Camilla has been following her own advice since freshman year of college.

Image courtesy of @camillalimonsales

Her brand, Camilla Limon, produces customized hand stamped jewelry, all done by her own hand. Camilla has been making jewelry since she was eight years old (though back then she was making Barbie doll earrings.) As you can see on Camilla’s website, she’s come a long way since.

Image courtesy of Camilla Limon

Camilla wanted to explore a medium that she could teach herself. Everything about the brand relates back to her and her own values, as the artwork is reflective of the mantras she lives by. Running the business herself, Camilla gets to decide every detail down to the styling and photography. She stays close to Drexel, featuring fellow D&M students as models for the brand.

We’re insanely impressed with how much her business has grown in a few short years, garnering over 1,400 sales on Etsy alone, and not to mention gaining a loyal Instagram following of over 4,000. Camilla has been working hard to put her brand on the map. She sells to boutique stores all over the country, with her two largest clients being located in Indiana and right here in Philadelphia.

Image courtesy of @camillalimonsales

While college women were her initial target market, as she grows older, her brand grows with her. Camilla explained, “I wanted my product to be affordable and readily available. Now my product is better quality, and prices are increasing due to that. I want my bracelets to be something that gets passed down.”

Asking Camilla if she wanted to stay in Philly after graduation, she said, “After living here for the last twenty two years it is time to see something new, but I love Philly and I can see myself living here at some point. The great thing about my business is that I can take it anywhere.”

Image courtesy of @camillalimonsales

If you are looking to get something personal for yourself or your loved one, you definitely found it. Drexel’s very own is showing that you do not need to go far to find quality, handmade jewelry.

Her unique products, available December 5th in the URBN Center (3501 Market Street), are series of stamped bangles featuring a range of inspirational, humorous, and just plain fun sayings. The purchases will also support other D&M students running this annual D&M Pop-Up Shop.

Image courtesy of @camillalimonsales

Everything is done locally and by Camilla herself, so you can feel good about your purchase knowing that not only are you getting a great product, but you’re also supporting a young and local business owner.

After understanding how personal this brand is for the students at Drexel, we know that that the Camilla Limon section of the D&M Shop will not last long, so be sure to come out on December 5th from 2-5 in The URBN Center Lobby and get your very own hand-stamped bracelet!

By Sam Ecker