Drexel Drag Show Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

On the night of Friday, April 22 I found myself hurriedly layering on bright purple lipstick, smoking out my eyeshadow, and zipping up my heeled boots to go out for my favorite Drexel event of the year: the spring Drexel Drag Show. While there are other drag shows that happen at Drexel, the spring event is always the most exciting because of whatever incredible guest queen is brought in to perform alongside the local lineup. This year we welcomed Jujubee (of RuPaul’s Drag Race) to the Main Building stage!

The evening started out late. Honestly I don’t think I’ve ever been to a drag show that started even remotely on time, but the wait has always been worth it. Jujubee began in a super-hot leopard print outfit and lip-synched to a medley of songs. After she finished and the roar of the audience died down, she briefly spoke to the audience before introducing the next performer. Of the 18 performances, there was a mix of drag show veterans like queens Liz, Bijou Bentley and Esperanza, and new baby queens like Anna Conda and Sakura Allure.

I adamantly believe there is something for everyone at a drag show. Lip synch routines to great music, amazing dance choreography, sidesplitting comedic acts, and of course the makeup and costumes never fail to impress. Miss Anna Conda taught the audience Drag 101 with a lip synch of the song “Hieee” (originally by a drag queen whose name I can’t write here), while Esperanza and a fellow performer did a cute Broadway routine to “Nowadays” from the musical, Chicago.

Bijou Bentley came out dressed as Jessie from Pokémon’s Team Rocket, and lip synched Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Run Away With Me” to a stuffed Pikachu, and then to a very, very attractive young man in a Pikachu mask (Did I mention he was shirtless?). Ken You Not, the sole drag king of the night, did a compilation of “You’re So Damn Hot” by OK Go, “Here (In Your Arms)” by Hellogoodbye, “What Do You Mean?” and “Sorry” by Justin Bieber and just about everyone in the audience was dancing along in their seats.

If I had to pick a favorite routine it would be Sakura Allure’s to “Bounce” by Iggy Azalea. Watching queens dance better than I ever will while still keeping their wigs on is a humbling experience. Check out the linked video and watch for her onstage death drop, along with her death drop off the stage. “Yaasss, queen” indeed!

No matter what your preconceptions of what a drag show is like are, I would highly recommend going to any drag show that Drexel puts on. There are some amazing, creative performers out there. Plus, I guarantee you’ll leave with a smile on your face and some sass in your step.

Her Campus Drexel contributor.