This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Ok, let’s do this. Freshman year was a ride. Never experienced so many ups and downs. It will be one of the best years of your life if you just throw yourself in it. Be prepared for the homework, the DRAMA, the breakups, the pyscho teachers, and all the amazing, crazy stories you’re going to tell next year. Here are some tips and tricks, the three of us learned from our freshman year. You’ve got this. 

DO GO TO CLASS: Yeah, yeah, maybe you need to skip once or twice for sleep, or because you’re just not feeling it, BUT do not let it become a pattern. You miss out on key points, and depending on your professors’ attendance policy, skipping class can have a poor effect on your semester grade, so try not to skip, TRUST ME. At the end of the day you are paying HELLA money for those classes, so you better go. 

Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
DO GO TO TUTORING: When your teacher gives you those resources that he/she says is helpful, actually look into them. There have been so many times when I didn’t do so well on a quiz and turns out I could have gone to free tutoring the entire time. I have seen a lot of teachers announce tutoring hours in the “Announcements” section of BBLearn. If they don’t provide you with tutoring info, ask a friend or shoot them an email. In the end, if there are no tutoring resources, form a study group with friends and bring some snacks to keep you motivated. 

DO GET INVOLVED: Don’t wait till your sophomore year to get involved on campus. Go to Involvement Fair and sign up for some clubs/organizations that strike your interest. If you miss it just like I have before, ask people in your major what they signed up for. If you have time for it, take a leadership position in one that is super important to you. Honestly, a leadership position in one club looks much better on your resume that being a member of a few. 

DO GO TO YOUR ADVISOR: (says the girl who still hasn’t gone to her advisor and is a sophomore). But, I have seen meetings with advisors help my friends who were questioning their major or just struggling in general. Don’t be intimidated by them because, at the end of the day, they’re literally being paid to help you succeed. They’re also a great resource to talk to if you’re confused about where you want to go after college. Talk them through your interests and they can help narrow down your choices. If you do narrow it down, they can help make a plan on core classes and electives you should take to reach that goal. 

DO TRY NEW THINGS: You are in college it is the time to branch out of your comfort zone and explore the world around you. I’m not saying go too crazy, make sure to stay in your boundaries, but be able to go to places you have never gone before (especially since you’re in Philadelphia) there are so many places to explore. Try new foods, pick up a new hobby, go to an event you would never see yourself at. Maybe take a class you might not know anything about, hey you might actually like a subject not in your major!

DO SPEND YOUR MONEY WISELY: It is so easy to get caught up in ordering Uber eats and going shopping, but it adds up very quickly. If you do not like your meal plan, utilize other ways of cooking and find what works for you. But your money will disappear if you do not pay attention to what you are spending it on. 

Patrick Spongebob Money
Tenor

DON’T PROCRASTINATE: Just like when it came to writing this, I kept putting it off and off and now it’s about 3 weeks late, hehe! NOT CUTE! During college procrastination is KILLER, and as a freshman you want your grades to be super before you start dealing with harder classes. Don’t wait till 11 to complete an assignment that’s due at 11:59, be more proactive. It causes less stress and you’ll feel so much better knowing that you don’t need to complete assignments under pressure. This is SUPER important and key when it comes to doing college work. 

DON’T LIMIT YOURSELF: This tip applies to literally every area of freshman year. It applies to friendships, classes, clubs, etc. Basically, get out of your comfort zone. Obviously, don’t give yourself a heart attack but don’t just stick to the same old things. College can be a time to reinvent yourself and start fresh if that’s something you want to do. I sure did. Don’t be friends with just one group like people in your major, don’t only be friends with your roommates. Branch out, try new things, it sounds so cheesy but it’s way more fun becoming a new person (but a better one). I loved changing from high school to college so I highly recommend it. And even if you’re an introvert who doesn’t like to leave their room like me, go to a party every once in a while. 

DON’T TRY TO BE SOMEONE YOU’RE NOT: You may be excited to meet new people and are trying to impress, but, at the end of the day your true personality will shine through. Don’t get caught up with the drama and people that you know in the long run you will not want to be a part of. Do yourself a favor and be the true you and you will find the friends you were supposed to meet in college.

Hopefully, some of these tips will help you during your first year of college. It’s always good to stay true to yourself and even branch out of your comfort zone, because college is a place to explore, expand, and enjoy new things!

Sandra is a junior in the BS/MS Communications program at Drexel University. She is studying Public Relations and Marketing. She plans to work within the sports industry either behind the scenes, or in front of the camera. She loves modeling, content creating, relaxing with a good face mask, and of course arguing over sports with the ENTIRE family. She's your go to girl for any sporting event, and will always keep you updates with what's going on in the sports world! She loves to write and is not afraid to speak her knowledge and opinions. Who gon check her? No one.
Samantha is a lavender-obsessed, puppy-loving, design and merchandising freshman from Drexel University. She is always spotted at Urban Outfitters, in the studio, or reading a book.
Morgan is a Communications Major at Drexel University.She is Currently the Event Coordinator for Drexel's chapter. She is into travel, cooking and Fitness/wellness and may spend a little too much time online shopping.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.