Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Don’t Know Which Birth Control Is Right For You? Hear Personal Experiences From Our Members.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Most use birth control to yes, prevent the reproduction of babies, but most of us like myself, need it to control cramps, heavy bleeding, and other period symptoms. There is no right age to start using birth control and some females never decide to use it. “Abstinence is key!” However, if you’ve found yourself in a situation where you have decided it is time for you to start using birth control or you have to because you cannot bare the symptoms of your period any longer, here are some personal experiences from fellow Her Campus members including myself, on each method of birth control we use. Maybe one sounds like the best fit for you.

1. The Shot

The Shot, also known as Depo-Provera. One shot every three months and worry free for the full three months. Your birth control is covered! The shot contains progestin, the hormone that prevents your ovaries from releasing eggs. It also thickens your cervical mucus, blocking sperm from getting to the eggs from the jump. I happen to use this method of birth control. I love it. I go to the doctor once every three months, get a shot in my booty and keep it pushing. I don’t have to worry about changing anything, taking anything daily or having a patch being visible. I had to start birth control because my periods were a traumatic time for me. I used to frequently faint on the spot, I had the shakes, became anemic, and was bed ridden the first day and a half of my period. I chose the Depo shot because it was the easiest. Going to the doctor every three months for a shot is low maintenance. I know myself, the pill was too much for me. I would forget to take it every day and I did not like the idea of a device being inserted inside me. The only cons I heard about the shot was weight gain and spotting for a while, during the period of time your body is trying to get used to it. Well girl, LET ME TELL YOU. Yes, I have gained weight. However, I had lots of cushion room to gain weight and it looks nice on me. I don’t mind the weight. I’ve gotten THICQ. The only bad things that I’ve experienced since getting my first shot are frequent mood swings. There would be times that I’d be with friends talking and literally two minutes later, I walk away and no longer want to be bothered with them. I would sometimes get headaches out of nowhere. I got my first shot a week and a half before I was supposed to get my period. I never got it. However, I started spotting a few days after. I’ve been continuously spotting every day since then. No periods, just light brown spotting. You know, like the stuff that comes out at the VERY end of your period. Panty-liners have become something I wear every day along with my clothes. Other than that, I don’t mind the shot. I talked to others who have the shot and their spotting stopped after getting the second shot.

1. The Patch

The Patch a thing, beige colored, piece of plastic that looks like a band-aid. The only color it comes in is beige, which makes it very visible on very pale or dark-skinned women. You just stick the patch on your skin, and it releases hormones that prevent your ovaries from releasing eggs. It also thickens your cervical mucus, blocking sperm from getting to the eggs. A fellow HC Member, Abigail shares her story about using the Patch.

“I am on the birth control patch (the medicine name is Xulane) and I have been using it since August of 2018. The main components of use for the patch is to put it on either your upper outer arm, stomach, butt, or back/shoulder blade (essentially, not on your breasts and preferably not somewhere that clothing would cause it to rub off or be damaged). You wear the patch for 7 days and put a new patch on each week. After three weeks, you go for a week without wearing the patch and that is your period week (you can postpone your period week by wearing a new patch if you want to and I think that’s really awesome because there’s no medical problem with doing that). 

• The pros are: it’s only a once a week ordeal and takes less than a minute to change, extremely reliable for prevention of pregnancy. I honestly forget I’m wearing it sometimes because you can’t feel it at all. (It’s like putting a sticker on your back) and of course, super light periods that last 3-5 days. 
  • The cons are mostly confined to the first week/first cycle of wearing the patch: the first week I had a moderate headache and some mild cramping. My first period on the patch was heavier than it had been before, but this was all normal and to be expected as part of the side effects that my Ob/Gyn informed me of. 

Just some extra information here: the patch is waterproof and stays on throughout showers. I’ve never had a problem with getting it to stay where I put it. The informational insert that comes in the box with the patches, has a lot of good information and answers almost every question you could have about it. I got the patches as treatment for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).”

1.  The Pill

The Pill is exactly what it sounds like, a pill. This type of method is considered to be oral contraception, which means that you take it every day, once a day, at the same time every day. There are multiple types of pills that you can get but they all work the same. They prevent your ovaries from releasing eggs and thicken your cervical mucus to prevent sperm from getting to the eggs. Another fellow HC Member shares her experience using the pill. She uses, Gianvi.

“The reasons for me using it is more for period and acne control purposes. This brand has been the most successful so far in controlling the symptoms and nature of my cycle. It is 28 days of pills, with four sugar/placebo pills. Now that my body has adjusted to its effects, I usually only get my period two days into taking the placebo & it only lasts about four days total! This was a BIG shift from the drawn out, super heavy 8-9 day cycles I used to suffer from. I was able to see an improvement in my acne too, which doctors determined was a hormonal issue for me personally. Lastly, the insane pain/other period symptoms I used to suffer from are essentially non-existent now. I guess the cons of this one would be is that its effects were not super drastic. I wish my skin was clearer and my period was lighter, but I do see improvements overall in all the areas I had issues with. So, I give it a thumbs up. It was definitely a necessary and beneficial choice for me.”

1.  No Birth Control At All: Condom/Abstinence

Birth control is not a must in everyone’s life. I have plenty of friends who don’t use birth control because the thought of hormonally altering their bodies is not something they are okay with. Using condoms is a natural way of preventing pregnancy. The only con is that they can break and you have to have one every time you want to go to the Boom Boom Room. I also have a few friends that don’t take birth control because they are abstinent. No matter what you choose, pick what is best for you. Not because of what your mom takes or suggests or what your sister is on. Don’t do everything your best friend does either. This decision is to be made especially for you. This article provided a few examples of birth control methods but to learn more about all methods and hear about other experiences, go to https://www.bedsider.org/.

They helped me finalize my decision when choosing the shot.

Studying Bio Pre-Med at Drexel Uni. Class of 23'