DIY Dorm Decorations – Thanksgiving Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Halloween is behind us and it’s time to put those skeletons back in the closet—but don’t fret because with holiday season quickly approaching more DIY decorations are coming your way! You’ll fall head over heels in love with these crazy cute ways to embellish your dorm for Turkey Day. Collecting the necessary materials is as easy as walking through Philly on an autumn day gathering fallen leaves, picking up some essentials at the craft store, and unwrapping that excess Halloween candy.

The Thankful Tree

What you’ll need:

• A handful of sticks
  • A vase
  • Construction paper
  • Scissors
  • Hole Puncher
  • String

How to: A few years ago, my crafty aunt hosted Thanksgiving dinner and used this DIY craft as a conversation starter around the table. Take a stroll through the park and play a literal game of pick up sticks. Gather up as many or as few as you please and then place them in a vase. Next, cut out leaves of various colors from construction paper, punch a hole, and tie a string through them so they act as an ornament. Write down what you’re thankful for and then put each leaf on one of the branches of your thankful tree. Repeat this step and be amazed at how much you have to be grateful for this year!

Turkey Box

What you’ll need:

• Empty tissue box
  • Construction paper (red, orange, yellow, brown)
  • Paint
  • Googly eyes
  • Scissors
  • Glue

How to: The weather is getting cold and your nose is runny! Put all those empty tissue boxes to use. Before you toss it out, think about turning it into a turkey box! Simply paint the box brown or cover each side with brown construction paper and then cut out the turkey parts (a brown head, a yellow beak, a red gobbler, and some very colorful feathers). Then tape or glue the features onto your tissue box. In the time between now and Thanksgiving, write down what your thankful for on little slips of paper and put each one in the box. Take it a step further by asking every visitor to your room to do the same.

(Source: http://www.whateverdeedeewants.com/2012/11/give-thanks-thankful-turkey-box.html)

Thankful Pumpkin

What you’ll need:

• Construction paper (orange, green)
  • Pen/marker
  • Scissors
  • Stapler/staples

How to: There’s never too much to be thankful for and so far I hope these crafts have reminded you about life’s many gifts. Well, here’s another craft that requires you to stop and think. First, cut out eight strips of orange construction paper. On each strip write down something you’re thankful for. Be sure to leave about one inch of space on each end of the strip so that the words aren’t covered up when the strips are stapled together. Then cut out two strips of green construction paper and one or two green leaves. Staple all of the strips together at both ends to form the shape of a pumpkin. Then curl the green strips of paper to form a stem and add your leaves. Now you’ve got yourself a desk accent or a centerpiece.

(Source: http://moffattgirls.blogspot.com/2013/10/easy-i-am-thankful-pumpkin-craft.html)

Accordion Leaves

What you’ll need:

• Construction paper
  • Scissors
  • String
  • Mini clothespins

How to: Trace a template of a leaf onto a piece of construction paper. Cut out as many leaves as you want in the various colors of fall. Use an accordion fold on each leaf (back and forth fold along the paper), then punch a hole on the stem and string each leaf together.

(Source: http://asubtlerevelry.com/festive-folded-leaf-garland)

Leafy Mason Jar

What you’ll need:

• Mason jar(s)
  • Leaves
  • String
  • Paste
  • Sponge Brush

How to: Have you hopped on the Mason jar bandwagon yet? If not, now’s the time! This fall festive take on the trend can be used as a candleholder, a penholder, or just a simple decoration. And it’s super easy to make! Buy as many or as few Mason jars as you want (which are usually sold at any craft store), then go for a walk in the park and pick up some fallen leaves. Paste the leaves onto the jar and then let it sit to dry. For an added touch, make a bow out of string and tie it around the neck of the jar.

(Source: http://www.countryliving.com/crafts/mason-jar-fall-crafts#slide-1)

PB & Acorns

What you’ll need:

• Nutter Butters
  • Hersey Kisses
  • Mini chocolate chips
  • Icing

How to: Now, how about some edible décor? A friend of mine recently divulged the recipe for these adorable fall treats! Peanut butter and chocolate meet again in a divine interaction. Put icing on one side of a Nutter Butter, unwrap a Hershey Kiss and stick the flat side onto the icing-covered side of the Nutter Butter (the icing will act as glue). If you’d like to add a “stem” you can repeat this step with a mini chocolate chip and paste it onto the opposite side of the cookie. These little guys are almost too cute to eat!

Reese’s & Oreos Turkey Treats

What you’ll need:

• Reese’s Peanut butter cups
  • Double Stuffed Oreos
  • Candy corn
  • Icing
  • Candy Eyeballs/Mini chocolate chips

How to: We at Her Campus Drexel love peanut butter and chocolate treats. So here is another. For each turkey, you’ll need one mega or double stuffed Oreo, two peanut butter cups, ten pieces of candy corn, and candy eyeballs (don’t sweat if you can’t get your hands on these because vanilla icing and mini chocolate chips will do the trick). First, put icing on both sides of the Oreo. Then, take two Reese’s peanut butter cups and stick one on the top and the other on the bottom of the cookie. Next, place nine pieces of candy corn into the icing of the Oreo, pointy-side down. For the final touches you can either put icing on the back of the candy eyeballs and stick them onto one of the peanut butter cups or you can simple put a tiny dollop of vanilla icing where the eyes would go and then place a mini chocolate chip in the center of the icing to form the pupil. Finally, cut the top and bottom off of a piece of candy corn for the nose, put some icing onto one side and stick it in the center of the turkey’s face. Gobble gobble!

(Source: http://bitzngiggles.com/2013/11/reeses-oreo-turkey-treats.html)

So there you have it, super easy ways to deck your dorm for Turkey Day! Make sure to send us your pictures if you partake in any of these DIY projects. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.