Courtney Rosen, Elle Magazine Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Get to know Courtney Rosen, a girl with both a heart and a closet so big that others are jealous. I got the inside scoop about this fashionista who landed many girls’ dream co-op job at Elle Magazine and how she’s living the life in New York City. She may not currently be on Drexel’s campus, but she certainly has not been forgotten. Rosen’s friends are counting down the days until she comes back in March after her co-op comes to an end. Until then though, you can find out how this Clueless fanatic spends her free time and her plans for the future.

When she was in classes, Rosen could easily be spotted on campus by whatever stylish look she was sporting that day. She is not one to drop the ball and wear sweatpants, even in drawing class when no one was spared from being covered in charcoal or in wood shop when the dust was unavoidable. Everyone else pales in comparison to Rosen’s outfit choices. One would think that such a stylish girl would choose somewhere other than Philly for school, but on that topic she had this to say, “I chose Drexel because I wanted a well rounded college experience. Most fashion schools are in NYC. I have always dreamed of living in NYC but once I saw that Drexel gave me the opportunity to live on a campus in Philly and for 6 months on Co-op in NYC, I knew I made the right choice. It is the best of both worlds. Drexel exposes me to so many people I never would have met if I stayed in a fashion school bubble.” Rosen certainly is getting the best of both worlds right now; she just attended Zang Toi’s show at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week and yet in just a month, she will be back on campus to celebrate Erin Express with her friends. She gets to have exposure to the fashion industry and also live the life of a regular college student!

Rosen has been an active member of her sorority, Delta Zeta, where she has held the positions of Charm & Dress and Formal chair. She even planned the semi-formal in November remotely from NYC and came back for the event to see that it ran smoothly! Rosen is also a member of the National Honor Society, Phi Eta Sigma, and she writes for the Style section of the Triangle! She is a well rounded student who will make sure she has her school work done before doing anything else, a very big reason that she has succeeded thus far. She is goal-oriented and knows what she wants in life, an admirable quality for a twenty year old in college.

Other than schoolwork and her campus activities, Rosen is a self-proclaimed “huge arts nerd.” One of her favorite things to do is to go to museums. She loves to see indie movies at The Ritz, go to concerts at the Piazza and TLA and to try new restaurants; eating is another one of her favorite things!

To express her own creativity, she has a Tumblr blog called YoungFashionJunkie which has about 500 followers. Here you can see just how obsessed she is with all things fashion. Some of the images that appear often include those of her favorite designers: Balmain, Givenchy and Rag & Bone to name a few. As for style icons, Twiggy, Jane Birkin and Brigitte Bardot are a few that have captured her heart. Rosen’s modern day style crush is Olivia Palermo; she would kill for her closet.

Rosen is not only a great student and an involved one at that, but she is also very close to her family. She named her father as her biggest inspiration and expressed that her parents are the most supportive people in the world, without them she wouldn’t be the person that she is today. Another great thing about being in NYC is that her sisters live there too and her parents live not to far away in New Jersey, so they often spend time together when she is not working one of her two jobs.

Not only is Rosen doing her co-op at Elle Magazine, but she is also working at the French Connection store in Soho. For most people this would be overwhelming, especially in such a fast-paced city, but Rosen says it’s one of the smartest decisions she has ever made. She is able to experience two sides of the fashion industry: the magazine side and the retail side. She also noted that working both places has doubled her amount of friends that she tries to go out with at least once a week!

Had Rosen not gone into the fashion industry, she believes that she would have gone into a very different field and perhaps would have become a psychologist, guidance counselor or social worker. She lists “giving advice” as another hobby of hers and also admits to psychoanalyzing everything. Rosen would be happy in any field really as long as she lives in or close to a city. London has the potential of becoming a home for Rosen, too, but she recognizes how hard it would be to live so far from her family and friends. No matter where she ends up in life though, she hopes to travel a lot!

Lisa is a senior at Drexel University studying Design and Merchandising. Her favorite things are shopping, reading fashion magazines and daydreaming about London per her recent study abroad trip there. Lisa has an obsession with celebrities and is a wealth of useless knowledge when it comes to pop culture. Adhering to the latest fashion and beauty trends is like a full time job for Lisa- she loves trying every new look and product.
Aubrey Nagle is an English major at Drexel University. She is currently a Features intern at Marie Claire and has previously interned Seventeen and Philadelphia magazine. She loves everything about pop culture and someday hopes to be a culture critic or an Entertainment Director for a women's magazine or national newspaper.To view her clips visit aubreynagle.contently.com and follow her on Twitter @aubsn.