This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Let’s put Drexel’s goal of being the #1 Civically Engaged University in the country to the test! It’s time to get out and volunteer. We are not just Drexel students, but we are now residents of the city of Philadelphia. As Drexel students, we are contributing directly to the gentrification of West Philadelphia. The least we can do is give some of our time back to the West Philadelphia community, which is food insecure and in need of volunteer services and resources. Many volunteer opportunities have been altered throughout the pandemic, but nevertheless, volunteer organizations have persisted and there are many opportunities available on campus!

• Powelton Community Fridge

Powelton Community Fridge is a community fridge open to anyone and everyone 24/7! It is located just off of 38th & Lancaster at 3750 Lancaster Avenue. This fridge is all about taking what you need and leaving what you can, if you can! Volunteers are needed for maintenance purposes: to restock the fridge, keep it clean, and regulate it to check for expired food. To learn about signing up for volunteer services, click here. Drexel’s Sharing Excess club, @sharingexcess_drexel (on Instagram) has also worked closely with the fridge in the past, but this organization is always in need of more volunteers! You can also follow them on Instagram @poweltonfridge.

Interested in planting trees and keeping your local green spaces clean? Love Your Park organizes several days to plant trees and clean parks. On Saturday, December 11th Love Your Park is hosting a service day at Fairmount Park.  You can register here to take part in keeping your community green and clean. 

• American Red Cross

The American Red Cross has a location right outside of University City! Located at 22 & Chestnut Street, the Red Cross is always in need of volunteers! Whether you want to help operate blood drives or donate blood to those in need, your time with the Red Cross will always be worthwhile. Click here to learn more about volunteer opportunities. In addition, University City is in need of blood donors! Click here to learn more about upcoming blood drives.

• Our Closet

Our Closet works to provide clothing to families in need. They frequently hold clothing drives and are in need of volunteers to sort through donated clothes. Our Closet is located at 21st and Arch and has events throughout Philadelphia, so not all of their events will be located at their 21st and Arch location. If you are interested in volunteering, their sign-up process is nice and easy! Click here to book yourself a slot to help.

• Small Things Philly

Small Things Family is an organization determined to fight food insecurity in Philadelphia. This organization,started by the Liberti Church East, provides dinners to families in need, and now extends to over 75 community partners! This organization is in need of volunteers to assist with food drives and dinners. With Thanksgiving coming up, you can make a big impact on Philadelphia families by helping put together food boxes with this link :). 

• Morris Animal Refuge

Missing your pet from home? There are a bunch of cats and dogs that would love to receive a bit of your love and attention at Morris Animal Refuge. Volunteers are needed to clean cages, play with animals, work adoption events, and help out around the shelter. Morris Animal Refuge is located at 1242 Lombard Street and is accessible from campus through public transportation. If you’re interested in volunteering, you can learn more here.

•  Philly Youth

Located at 15th and Chestnut, Philly Youth is looking to strengthen the Philadelphia community by eliminating negative stereotypes about Philadelphia and its people. Philly Youth is currently looking for a volunteer to run write for their mobile app, Philly Youth Mobile App. This volunteer would interview youth in Philadelphia who are making positive impacts on their community, and highlight their accomplishments through a spotlight article on their app. To find out more about this opportunity, you can click here or contact Philly Youth via @phillyyouth_ on Instagram. In addition, Philly Youth can be reached at Info@PhillyyouthInc.com and more information about the organization and its mission can be found here.

Interested in learning more about community service opportunities at Drexel? Make sure to stop by the Lindy Center, located at 3210 Cherry Street! The Lindy Center also helps run many community-based learning courses at Drexel, which you can learn more about through this link.

Makayla (she/her) is a sophomore political science student at Drexel University. Her comfort movies are 10 Things I Hate About You, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and The Notebook. She is a Harry Styles enthusiast and loves to read :).