This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Everything about the band Queen is larger than life: their sound, their stage presence, and yes, their lead singer. So it seems fitting that the opening shots of Bohemian Rhapsody are set at the Live Aid concert in 1985, where Queen gave one of the best rock performances ever known. Opening (and then closing) the movie with this setting instantly sends a jolt. It preps you and excites you about the rest of what’s about to play. However, with the majority of the movie’s scenes and emotions based around one member, it was easy to forget Bohemian Rhapsody was intended to be a movie about the whole band. ​Image Courtesy of Variety

Major professional critique of the film has been centered around historical inaccuracies concerning the band’s lifespan, but that’s not my issue. Two original Queen members (guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor) served as producers for the film. With their blessing, timelines were squashed and altered. For instance, the film has singer Freddie Mercury revealing his HIV status to the rest of the band in 1985, when in reality there’s no clear proof he knew of it at that time. For an obsessive fan of Queen, this fact could be frustrating or aggravating. That being said, it does make sense for a film to condense the life events into a shorter span. If they hadn’t, the movie probably would have had to be a mini-series instead. 

My issue/main critique lies in the fact that the producers had intended for the movie to be about the whole band, but really it’s just all about Freddie Mercury. And rightfully so. Freddie Mercury’s life plays out exactly like you would expect a rock star’s life to. Born Farrokh Bulsara, he was a misfit with talent, who hooked up with other misfits to become a force of music. He harbored secrets and took risks on and off the stage. He was a born entertainer but faced periods of isolation and sadness. And while the other band members might have come from humble beginnings as well, Mercury’s story is just more enticing to watch. 

You may not know the names of Queen’s other members, but everyone has heard of Freddie Mercury. And if you don’t know his name, you know his iconic and powerful voice. His voice has been the soundtrack to sports championships and famous car rides. Producers chose to use recordings of Mercury’s voice for the film. In my opinion, that was the smart decision as Mercury’s voice is just too unique to be impersonated. 

Rami Malek (who is mainly known for his role as an anti-social computer hacker on Mr. Robot) will no doubt receive an Academy Award nomination for his portrayal of Freddie Mercury, which is much deserved. His transformation into Mercury is beyond belief. After watching the film’s Live Aid performance and the real Live Aid performance compared, a nomination can’t be denied. But, much like the real Mercury, Malek commands your attention away from the others. The supporting actors and actress are talented doppelgangers too but each scene is more energetic with Malek in it. It’s hard to guess if any other member of the film’s cast or crew will succeed in receiving a nomination. But whatever the outcome, Bohemian Rhapsody will definitely succeed in making you a bigger fan of Queen. 

Bebhinn Nagle is a pre-junior at Drexel University, where she is majoring in Nursing. Along with this role of writer for HerCampus Drexel, she is also the recruitment chair for the school's student nurses' association.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.