The Best Winter Nail Polish Colors for Every Skin Tone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Goodbye, 60-degree days, it’s winter at last! While nothing beats the coziness of bundling up in scarves, sweaters, coats, and gloves, it can be easy to fall off the trend wagon and descend into the winter beauty blahs. We’re here with advice to help you make the most of the season’s muted color palette, with some choices based on your skin tone that will make your mani pop! 

1. Fair Skin with Cool Undertones 

If you have this skin tone, you probably identify quite easily with actress and style icon Emma Roberts. You slather on sunscreen before leaving the house because you know you don’t tan, you burn. When looking at your wrist, you see more blue veins than you see green. Your foundation (and, therefore, your skin) has pinkish undertones and this is exacerbated by the cold, which gives you rosy cheeks. 

If you fall into this category, switch up your winter mani with a deep navy nail polish. Softer than black (but equally as dramatic), navy is a statement color that draws eyes in without washing you out. 

Try: Starry, Starry Night from the Essie Retro Revival Collection. The subtle shimmer is a fun extra touch. 

2. Fair Skin with Warm Undertones 

With warm undertones, you probably have more in common with actress Ashley Benson than Emma Roberts. It doesn’t matter how much sunscreen you put on, in the summer you get a gorgeous bronzed glow anyways. With a quick peek at your wrist, you see more green than blue veins. Your foundation has more notes of yellow and red than pink. 

If this is your skin tone, try a subdued berry shade for your nails. It’s more appropriate for the season than your summery fuchsia go-to, and the deeper hue really warms up your look when the weather leaves you freezing. 

Try: Broody from the Butter London Patent Shine Collection. They don’t call it high shine for nothing; you’ll be able to practically see your own reflection! 

3. Olive Skin 

Olive skin comes with a variety of undertones, ranging from light-warm to deep-warm. Also known as the ‘medium’ hue, those with olive skin tones tend to have ethnic backgrounds in the Middle East, Latin, or Spanish-speaking countries. You typically look to popstar Selena Gomez or actress Mindy Kaling to see how the latest beauty trends may look on you. You most likely have brown or black hair, and brown (or sometimes green!) eyes as well. While the exact shade of your skin may vary, you see greenish-blue veins on your wrist, meaning your unique skin tone is a mixture of cool and warm tones. Your friends are often jealous of your yearlong ‘tan’, which is actually just your natural glow. 

If this sounds like you, you absolutely must get your next mani in a sultry burgundy. We know, you’re probably no stranger to the stunning red lip/red mani combo, but hear us out. Burgundy is the hotter, more sophisticated cousin of the Hollywood red-carpet red. It’ll smolder and pop against your golden skin, channeling your coziest fireside memories. 

Try: Oxblood No. 303 from the Burberry Iconic Collection. You’ll be able to bring a bit of the runway to class when you ‘can’t even’ with the weather. 

4. Deep Skin with Cool Undertones 

It’s a popular misconception that deep complexions are simply ‘deep’. Like every other skin tone we’ve gone over, there are subtle complexities that make certain colors more striking against your skin. If you have a deep complexion with cool undertones, you likely relate to supermodel Maria Borges. You have a dark, rich complexion but you have hints of grey and blue in your skin and eyes. These colors, along with black, make you absolutely glow. 

If you fall into this complexion category, opt for a metallic silver mani. Your darker skin gives you an advantage here, because it allows for a brilliant, eye-catching contrast. The silvery shimmer will remind you of freshly fallen snow, even on a lazy day snuggled up with a mug of hot chocolate. 

Try: Intemporel from the Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour Collection and prepare to dazzle everyone around you! 

5. Deep Skin with Warm Undertones 

If you have deep skin with warm undertones, you probably take beauty cues from pop singer Rihanna. You’ll notice that you have golden tones in your skin, and warm colors like burgundy and berry really make you stand out. 

Like Rihanna, you turn heads wherever you go, so a golden champagne manicure will shine and maybe even throwback to some fun New Year’s Eve memories when you’re studying for midterms. 

Try: Screaming Bright from the MAC Studio Nail Lacquer Collection and you may just feel like you’re popping champagne when you’re actually popping flashcards. 

There you have it, Dragons! You’ll surely stun in whatever colors you end up picking out this season. Make sure to tag us in your Insta pictures if you follow through with our recommendations, or try something different. We’d love to hear from you!

Image 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Jenna Adrian is a student at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. She studies Design & Merchandising. She's currently paving the way to create a career that will unite her passion for both style and government policy reform. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, running, and learning the in's and out's of city culture. You can find her at a coffee shop, a networking event, or brainstorming for her latest article. Check out her thoughts on coffee, fashion, and life in the city on her personal blog, & some like it haute. 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.