Best Ways to Prevent Frizz in the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

As someone with thick, wavy and dry hair, I am no stranger to frizz. Summer is definitely the season of frizzy hair, due to the hot and humid days. No matter what your hair type is, we are all trying to look for ways to make our hair maintenance a lot easier, especially when more time could be spent out in the sun, enjoying the amazing weather! Try out my tips below for keeping hair frizz-free all summer long!

Try using the correct shampoo/conditioner.

The first – and crucial step to frizz-free hair is washing your hair by using a smoothing shampoo and conditioner. This will moisturize your hair as you cleanse and condition! Look for ingredients like keratin or argan oil. Try out TRESemme or OGX!

Moisturize with a leave-in conditioner.

Leave-in conditioners keep your hair moisturized, shiny and also detangles your hair without weighing it down! I apply it after I’ve washed my hair, while it’s still wet. They come in either a spray or cream form. I recommend a spray for fine to normal hair, and a cream for thick to curly hair. I personally love this spray and this cream

Gloss up with hair oils & serums!

Hair oils and serums are my favorite way to protect my hair from frizz! Hair oils make your hair look shiny and glossy, and serums create a barrier, protecting your hair from getting frizzy! I apply serums onto wet hair and oils on dry hair, in-between washes, for touch-ups to make sure my hair stays frizz-free. My favorite serum is from John Frieda and my favorite hair oil is from OGX!

Protect from heat styling.

If you’re going to use heat in your hair, make sure to use a heat protectant! Tip: if you have thick hair, like me, that takes forever to blow dry, use a blow dry spray! Not only does this protect your hair from heat, but it also cuts your blow dry time! Trust me, I did the test and this product totally works. If you don’t protect your hair from the heat, your hair is more prone to drying, which means frizz! It can also cause hair to break and split over time. It’s definitely a step not worth skipping!

When in doubt, wear your hair up!

When it’s just too hot and humid outside, just wear your hair up! You’ll thank me (and yourself) later. Not only will some hairstyles help hide the unruliness, but you’ll feel more comfortable from the heat and look cute! Rely on your go-to simple ponytail or top-knot bun, or try out a detailed braided updo when you’re feeling fancy.

These tips will get your hair looking good and frizz-free this summer and all year long!

Nicole is currently treasurer at Drexel's chapter of Her Campus. She is a senior majoring in Design & Merchandising and loves writing about anything style, beauty and food related. In her spare time, she loves keeping up with celeb-news and binging the latest TV shows. She can usually be found trying out new restaurants in Philly with her friends and finding the next place to travel to.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.