This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Trying to rifle through the hundreds of options for laptops can seem daunting. Adding a student budget into the mix can turn the entire search on its head. From Apple to Asus, here are the best student laptops to help you decide, in no particular order.

Apple MacBook Air

Let’s start off with the most obvious. With Apple’s brand new M1 chip, the MacBook Air is incredibly powerful. Long considered a reliable laptop brand, Apple’s MacBook Air is a great choice for those looking for great battery life, a high-quality keyboard, and an excellent value starting at $999. However, if a touch screen and multiple port selections are your cup of tea, I would suggest looking elsewhere.
If you’re a design student or someone who heavily multitasks, I would suggest looking into the Air’s big brother, MacBook Pro, which rings up at a heftier $1,499.

Microsoft Surface Pro 7

Microsoft has been absolutely killing it, providing powerful machines at incredibly affordable prices. Now on its seventh iteration, the Surface Pro is one of Microsoft’s most versatile and lightest 2-in-1 laptops. The icing on the cake is the perfect integration of the Surface Pen, allowing for students to effortlessly take notes during class. However, the fact that the keyboard is sold separately might turn you off to this 2-in1.

If you’re more of a traditionalist, I would recommend the Surface Laptop 3 for those with a more extensive budget. Starting at $799, the Surface 3 is packed with great features: all-day battery life, an incredibly light design, and one of the best HD cameras on the market. However, the price tag might deter you.
If you’re on a tighter budget, I would recommend the Surface Laptop Go. This extremely portable laptop is light and packed with an HD camera and a fingerprint power button. However, the display and audio quality is pretty lacking.

Dell XPS 13

Another hard-hitter, the Dell XPS 13 is considered to be a crowd favorite. With a stellar performance rating, great battery life, slim design, and an optional 4K display, the XPS 13 is a top notch choice. However, the rather awkward placement of the webcam can be grating over time, and the price tag starting at $999 could be viewed as too steep for most students.

Asus VivoBook S15

With very few cons to its massive list of pros, the Asus VivoBook S15 is truly a monster machine. From its slim design to its fantastic port selection, the VivoBook is a strong contender for students. To make the deal even sweeter, Asus will send you a set of stickers to decorate your green, blue, silver, or whichever of the vibrant colors of laptop you choose. Starting at $790, the VivoBook S15 is truly a great value. One con that could turn you away is the common complaints of the computer running hot and noisy during intense multitasking.

Lenovo Chromebook Duet

If you’re on a tight budget and are in the market for a portable Chromebook, I would recommend the Lenovo Chromebook Duet. The 2-in-1 Chromebook is a convenient option that includes the keyboard with your purchase. While the performance is pretty half-hearted, if you’re looking to use this laptop when you’re on-the-go, it’s a great option. The lack of a headphone jack could be a serious deal-breaker for some students. However, with an unbeatable starting price of $289, it’s quite the steal.

Whether you’re on the market for a multitasking monster or if you’re simply looking for an on-the-go option, there are plenty of laptops for you to choose from. I hope these recommendations helped you to figure out which direction you’d like to go!

Emmy is a senior at Drexel University where she studies English and communication. She's previously written for FreshU, CollegeXpress, and Spoon University. You can find her exploring this great big world of ours, from California to Paris.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.