This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

With Christmas just around the corner, it’s easy to find yourself anticipating holiday traditions — putting up the tree, donning your home with garland and Christmas lights, baking cookies and building gingerbread houses… And, of course, watching Hallmark Christmas films.

For my family, watching the Hallmark Channel during the holiday season has always been a tradition. From their Christmas in July specials, to annual holiday-themed films beginning every November, the channel’s been a staple in my home for as long as I can remember.

Of course, they get a lot of slack for being cheesy, but that’s what makes them so charming. They’re bad in the best way possible, with the same tropes filling all 136 films they’ve produced — to the point where there’s even drinking games dedicated to their cliches.

Inevitably, you can’t avoid a good Hallmark film blessing your December, and as someone who’s been watching these films her whole life, I’d say I’m a pretty good candidate for judging which deserve the god-tier status. Below, I’ve compiled my top five favorite Hallmark films of all time, and you absolutely need to watch them before the season ends.

assorted movies on bookshelf
Photo by Lucas Pezeta from Pexels

5. I’m Not Ready for Christmas

Starting at number five is an iconic hit featuring a hall of fame Hallmark star Alicia Witt. She’s starred in at least ten different films, and to me, this is definitely her best. With an accompanying title song of the same name, it’s hard not to love the charming banter this film offers. Alicia Witt stars as Holly Nolan, a businesswoman whose world turns upside down after her niece begs Santa Claus to fate Holly with the inability to tell lies. As her life is thrown into chaos, she learns the usual lessons — the importance of love, the truth setting you free, and everything in between.

4. Christmas Connection

Another classic tells the story of Sydney, a flight attendant who saves a little girl’s Christmas after returning a package she’d left on her flight. With no way of leaving town thanks to a brewing winter storm leaving all flights canceled, Sydney finds herself stuck with Christmas in only a few days. Thankfully, the little girl’s father is grateful enough to invite her to wait out the storm at his house, as a token of appreciation in her efforts to help his daughter. Spoiler alert: the two (inevitably) fall in love, much to the little girl’s happiness, living happily ever after in their own Christmas wonderland. This film checks off every box in terms of Hallmark tropes and is just the right amount of predictable to still keep you excited.

3. The Nine Lives of Christmas

If the stunning Brandon Routh (who genuinely looks like a real-life Prince Eric) isn’t enough to make this film memorable, the adorable storyline is sure to do the trick. Featuring a veterinary student in need of a home, a fireman who thinks the bachelor life is it for him, and two cats falling in love at the same time as their owner’s — the storyline is precious, unique and sure to bring joy to anyone who watches.

2. A December Bride

Coming in at number two is one of my all-time favorites. The story follows interior designer, Layla, who has always dreamed of becoming a December bride. When her fiancé dumps her for her cousin, she attends the wedding with the friend who introduced the two to begin with. After a sequence of events leads wedding guests to believe Layla and Seth are engaged, the two decide to keep up the act, with feelings and complications following them along the way. The storyline is classic in that it keeps viewers on their feet, all while keeping them rooting for the main characters every step of the way. There isn’t a single moment in this film that isn’t enjoyable.

1. The Sweetest Christmas

And for my absolute favorite, The Sweetest Christmas! The film stars Mean Girls alumni, Lacey Chabert, who stars as Kylie, a woman visiting home with her boyfriend/ boss of several years. He plans a special evening for her, and she thinks he’s finally going to propose. Instead, he gives her a promotion, and she dumps him for caring more about their work relationship than their romantic one. She later discovers her ex-high school sweetheart is the owner of the restaurant they’ve visited, and they reconnect after her recent breakup. While home, Kylie decides to pursue her dream of being a pastry chef, along with the help of her ex-boyfriend after her home’s oven malfunctions. Together, they enter the American Gingerbread Competition and are thrown into an adventure as they do their best to take home the grand prize — and rekindle the love they once shared. For me, the love the characters share is unlike any other Hallmark film — it’s timeless, showing the reality of the lesson that if you love someone, it’s best to let them go, and if it’s meant to be — they’ll always come back to you.

Film Maker Machine Control Panel
Pixaby/Pexels
Hallmark films are cliche, it’s true — the plots are predictable, the lines are corny, and everyone always gets a happy ending. But in a world where this simply is not the usual case, it’s fun to see the innocent magic of Christmas portrayed in films catered toward adult viewers. And, if that’s not enough, at least they’re always fun for a laugh or a quick guilty pleasure indulgence.

Christina Papadopoulos is a student at Drexel University pursuing her B.A. and M.S. in Communication. She is a freelance writer with a passion for all things film, tv, classic rock, video games, comic books, and fashion.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.