From Beneath, It Lurks: A Drexel Co-op Theater Company Show Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Opening night for From Beneath, It Lurks was a truly wonderful performance filled with laughter and a bunch of creeped out audience members. From Beneath, It Lurks was a devised theatre production about a high school reunion at a cabin in the woods. However, this reunion becomes complicated when a gory old woman, an elder cult member, crashes the party.

From Beneath, It Lurks was engaging. Some of the actors—especially Asanath the elder cult member—engaged with the audience, got right up in their faces, and made them as uncomfortable as possible.

The show was also hilarious. Several times throughout the show the whole audience was doubling over in laughter. But, it also came with a good amount of creepy moments, compounded by the chilling music done by Greg St. Germain and the lighting by Chris Fedor.

The play was directed by Adrienne Mackey and written by Carl Loa. The show was put on by the Drexel Co-op Theatre Company and was based off of the horror fiction of H.P. Lovecraft.

The stars of the show included Felicia Batten as Asanath, Matt Demetrides as Russ, Corey Fedorowich as Dan, Stephen Gross as Brock/Dexter, Sara Martone as Harriet, Stevie Matthews as Wal/Armitage, Kaitlyn Reid as Gail, and Abby Wolanin as Carly.

The show took place over Halloween weekend at the URBN Annex Black Box Theatre, located at 3401 Filbert Street. There were multiple showings between Thursday, October 29th and Sunday, November 1st. 

Proceeds from the event benefited the Drexel Co-op Theatre Company.

From Beneath, It Lurks was an amazing performance, with great actors, a hilarious and scary script, and an awesome overall production. I thoroughly enjoyed watching and being a part of opening night. The next Drexel Co-op Theatre Company performance is Watership Down from November 4th to November 22nd. I’m looking forward to seeing future performances from this talented group of people! 

Photo Source

Her Campus Drexel contributor.