The Bachelor Recap: Week 5

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

This week was the first international week on The Bachelor and one of the most dramatic episodes of the season so far. It was a good week in Mexico as the women continued to compete for Ben’s heart. Keep reading to find out what went down in this week’s episode and, as usual, beware of spoilers.

The first date this week was a one-on-one with Amanda. The date began with Ben waking her up at 4:20 a.m. The couple then left the hotel and took a hot air balloon ride to a beautiful meadow, where they enjoyed a nice picnic. The date ended with Amanda revealing her relationship past with the father of her children before she received the date rose.

Next, Ben took nine women on a group date where they walked to a Spanish class and learned a few Spanish phrases. The date took an unexpected turn when Ben and the women went to a restaurant to try cooking authentic Mexican food. The group split up into teams of two and some tension arose, as both Jubilee and Olivia wanted to be Ben’s partner. Olivia got to be Ben’s partner and Jubilee paired up with Lauren B. The teams went to the market to pick out ingredients from a list that was entirely in Spanish. After they got the ingredients, the teams went back to the restaurant in a head-to-head cook-off. The owners of the restaurant judged the meals and the winning team was Jubilee and Lauren B.

Finally, the post-date cocktail party rolled around and the drama really began. Ben spent one-on-one time with most of the girls, but there was trouble when he got to Jubilee. First, Jubilee refused to hold his hand as he led her away from the other girls, then she told him about how difficult the competition was for her and how insecure she felt about their relationship. Ben told her that he didn’t see their relationship progressing and Jubilee left in a cab. When Ben returned to the cocktail party Jojo comforted him, but he ended up giving the rose to Olivia.

The final date this week was a one-on-one with Lauren H. The couple got to go to the set of Fashion Week in Mexico and model for the show. They were both nervous, as they had never modeled before, but they looked pretty good on the runway. During dinner, Lauren and Ben had a chance to talk and Lauren got a kiss from Ben as well as the date rose.

The cocktail party before the Rose Ceremony was probably one of the most dramatic cocktail parties yet because the girls finally told Ben about Olivia’s behavior. First, Olivia insulted Amanda by comparing Amanda’s situation to an episode of Teen Mom, which prompted Emily to tell Ben about Olivia’s bullying. Ben then asked all of the other girls in the house if there was anything going on and they all complained about Olivia’s behavior. Ben went to confront Olivia pulling her aside to talk. The episode ended with a cliffhanger – to be continued.

This week’s ending was seriously disappointing! You’ll just have to tune in next week to catch what happens between Ben and Olivia and see who goes home during the Rose Ceremony. Don’t forget to check back here for the recap of the drama and tears that The Bachelor has to offer. You can watch a clip of Ben waking up the women below:

Her Campus Drexel contributor.