Aubrey Balsa, Guest Film Studies Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Aubrey Basla is a twenty-one-year-old major studying Studio Art and Art History. She is part of a program called The Philadelphia Experience; this allows Aubrey, who is normally a junior at Ursinus College in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, to study here and become part of the Drexel University community. Not only has Aubrey been taking classes in Westphal, but she has also been working at a film internship in the city. 

Aubrey applied for The Philadelphia Experience because she wanted to gain exposure in the film market of Philadelphia, and taking classes at Philadelphia was an added bonus, “I was looking to take more courses in the area of visual arts”. Her internship at Video City Productions in Center City allows her to assist in filming and editing “corporate, commercial, and event videography”. The production company lets Aubrey participate hands-on in the experience of filming and editing videos for the clients, which cover a wide range of topics and characters. When asked what type of videos she has helped with, Aubrey answered that she has assisted on Bat and Bar mitzvah videos, a memorial service remembrance sequence, and a non-profit organization’s introduction video for new staff and employees, among others. The latest video was for a thirteen-year-old girl’s birthday party, who “led the production team around her house as if she was the director”.

Not only has she met a range of people, Aubrey’s been able to explore parts of the city she previously had never worked in.  When asked what her favorite part of the internship was, Aubrey answered the team and their working relationships. “It is so nice to actually have a hand in making the films and not just be watching them or getting coffee.” One of the best parts of working with the other members of the film crew was how knowledgeable each one was; Aubrey says each member of the team has been eager to demonstrate their knowledge and eager to show her the ropes.

“My Drexel courses were in the film department, so it was great to be learning directly technical and creative film studies,” Aubrey says when asked how her time at Drexel has been. She’s glad to say that her classes at Westphal and experience at Video City have fit together perfectly. Both are giving her needed experience and a change in location. She’s learned to apply her lessons to her work, “They work in tandem,” Aubrey says, allowing her the opportunity to grow as both a student and professional in the industry.

Originally from Syracuse, New York, Aubrey moved to East Norriton, Pennsylvania with her family when she was young. After graduating next year, Aubrey says she would like to continue a trajectory within the visual arts. Her hobbies include visiting museums, working out, and going to concerts. Aubrey is also a huge movie fan. She and her friends at Ursinus started a film club on their campus, which they titled UrCinema. Aubrey says running the club is one of the best choices she’s made in school.

Bebhinn Nagle is a pre-junior at Drexel University, where she is majoring in Nursing. Along with this role of writer for HerCampus Drexel, she is also the recruitment chair for the school's student nurses' association.
Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.