Anne Most: The Triangle’s Newest Editor-In-Chief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

If you know Anne Most, a junior Communications major, you already know how hilarious and smart she is. Now she’s taking her writing skills and sense of humor to the Editor-in-Chief position at The Triangle! Her Campus got the scoop on what makes Anne tick and what’s in store for the biggest publication on campus.

Anne started out at The Triangle with humble beginnings as a freshman copy editor. After a term of copy editing and later writing for the Arts & Entertainment section, Anne knew she wanted more responsibility. She began helping out the A&E team on production nights and by the spring term of sophomore year, she became the A&E Editor. In this role Anne was able to learn the organizational and social skills she now needs as the Editor-in-Chief. “One term later I joined the Editorial Board, which gave me a taste of what it takes to run the business side of the newspaper and make executive decisions,” Most says. This past winter term Anne was elected the head honcho position, succeeding her good friend Helen Nowotnik.

“I never expected in a million years I would end up becoming the Editor-in-Chief, but I always knew it was a dream of mine,” Most says.

Of her plans for her two terms as EIC, Anne states she wants to focus on staff recruitment. What will these new members accomplish? Anne wants to hire a video crew to produce the already wildly popular Triangle Live segments at a faster rate. “Recruitment will also help us boost our business team, which will ultimately lead to working towards getting more print advertisements to increase our revenue,” she says.

Working with the entire staff – four features sections, as well as photography, copy editing, business, and social media – will come as a challenge and a reward for Anne. A self-proclaimed people-person, she says, “I am really looking forward to working closer with more staff members than I did as entertainment editor. It will definitely take managing all of these groups of people some getting used to, but I am up for the challenge.”

Of her time at the Triangle, Anne says confidently “My decision to join The Triangle was the absolute best decision I made at Drexel. This newspaper morphed me into the confident leader I am today because it has allowed me to do something that I genuinely love, and work with people that have become like family to me.”

Her experiences even helped Anne choose a career path. Originally an English major, during her sophomore year Anne changed to Communications with a concentration in global journalism because she loved the work she was doing at the newspaper. Now Anne is even considering graduate school to study journalism, or possibly film and screenwriting, once she graduates in 2014.

If not, Anne will be striking after her dream job in the work force: to write about films for Rolling Stone or Entertainment Weekly!

“I’ve always been interested in films, so to spend my life writing about them would be a dream come true. But I’m a girl of many dreams, and would also love to become a film or television screenwriter. Shout out to NBC if they’re hiring a writer!” Anne says.

As for her advice for anyone following their journalistic dreams, Anne says to “write, write, write!” To find jobs as a journalist getting your writing published is extremely important. “You want to give potential jobs an idea of what kind of writer you are,” Anne says. Having diverse clips, like Anne did when she wrote for both the A&E and News sections, shows potential employers your versatility.

When going on a communications based co-op, Anne, who most recently worked at Comcast, advises you to dress professionally and treat your co-workers with respect – even if your workplace is casual or informal!  “Always treat your co-op like a six-month interview,” she says, “and never slack on your work or procrastinate.”

For interviews, Anne knows you should never wing it (even if you think you can). “Make sure you are familiar with everything you put on your resume and research the job and company. Most importantly, show that you have passion for the job. My boss told me that one of the main reasons she hired me was because I showed passion for the job and for my work at The Triangle!”

Her ultimate career advice? “Be a risk taker! I suggest doing something even if it scares you. Journalism is all about taking risks and stepping out of your comfort zone. If you’re shy, you won’t make it, it’s as simple as that. My sophomore year I was very indecisive about coming in to help on production night, mainly because I was scared of plunging into a new environment. All I can say is that I am so glad I did.”

Aubrey Nagle is an English major at Drexel University. She is currently a Features intern at Marie Claire and has previously interned Seventeen and Philadelphia magazine. She loves everything about pop culture and someday hopes to be a culture critic or an Entertainment Director for a women's magazine or national newspaper.To view her clips visit aubreynagle.contently.com and follow her on Twitter @aubsn.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.