Anna DeMarco, DPhiE’s Chairwoman for Eating Disorder Awareness and ANAD Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Anna DeMarco

For many women who choose to rush, becoming a part of Greek Life is one of the most unique and unforgettable experiences of college. To put it simply, a sorority is a group of individual women who are united and strengthened by shared values and ideals. Each woman has her own way of working to honor those values, and the support and respect of other members who are doing the same is what helps to create the culture of sisterhood in each organization. Perhaps the biggest takeaway of sorority life is that it’s about being a part of something bigger than yourself. Delta Phi Epsilon and their philanthropy, the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD), are working together to extend that same support and respect to everyone through their take on National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, called ANAD Week. 

At the forefront of this ambitious campaign is Anna DeMarco, Delta Phi Epsilon’s chairwoman for ANAD Week. 

Anna is a senior business marketing major, in her fifth and final year of study here at Drexel. She has been a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon since her freshman year and recounts, “[I] immediately fell in love with one of our main philanthropies, the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD). … Being involved with ANAD for five years has really made my time at Drexel worthwhile.”

As ANAD chair, Anna works closely with Delta Phi Epsilon’s philanthropy chair and the vice president of programming in the administrative planning of the week’s events. She also leads a committee of sisters in planning and executing every aspect, from contacting featured speakers and partnering with cosponsors, to fundraising and facilitating the events themselves. Every aspect of this weeklong campaign is dedicated to raising awareness for the prevalence of eating disorders and breaking the silence around the subject.

Anna’s passion and dedication to making ANAD week a success comes from a very personal desire to help others identify possible warning signs of an eating disorder. “Having had an eating disorder myself, I am a huge advocate of getting the conversation started. We need to let everyone know that this is nothing to be ashamed of. Only one in ten people with an eating disorder receive treatment and that is mostly because they either don’t want to talk about it or don’t even realize they have a disorder. We want to offer information and resources so that everyone can receive treatment and live a long, healthy life.”

To accommodate for the variety of eating disorders, symptoms, and risk factors, Anna had to spend months brainstorming a variety of events to cover the most comprehensive information possible. Even though the planning could be stressful at times, along the way she realized that she could dedicate her career to making a difference in other people’s lives by co-oping for a non-profit organization.

“Two out of my three co-ops were at non-profit organizations. Over my time at Drexel I have realized how much I enjoy helping people. No matter what the cause, I like feeling like I’m doing something important and somehow making someone’s life better,” Anna said. After graduation, she hopes to pursue a career at a non-profit organization and also take classes to become a makeup artist.

When Anna isn’t thinking of new ways to change the world, she enjoys blogging, relaxing on the beach, playing volleyball, and spending time with her family and friends. 

Jenna Adrian is a student at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. She studies Design & Merchandising. She's currently paving the way to create a career that will unite her passion for both style and government policy reform. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, running, and learning the in's and out's of city culture. You can find her at a coffee shop, a networking event, or brainstorming for her latest article. Check out her thoughts on coffee, fashion, and life in the city on her personal blog, & some like it haute. 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.