Activated Charcoal Masks That Are NOT Brutally Painful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

You’re familiar with the charcoal peel-off mask trend, aren’t you? If not, all you really need to know is that recently charcoal peel-off masks have been a major beauty trend. The activated charcoal helps bind dirt and oil to pull it out of your pores. Sounds great, right? But the catch is that the mask is apparently painful to remove. At first, the mask was promoted as a way to get rid of blackheads, however, the trend turned into comedic videos of people crying in pain.

For the sake of journalism, I wanted to try the trendy mask to see how painful it really was. However, when I walked into Sephora and saw the variety of charcoal face products, I realized that some of them were not peel-off. No peel, no pain. So, why not use alternative charcoal products to get better skin pain-free? Here are three gentler options for purifying your pores at varying price points.

1. Freeman Feeling Beautiful Charcoal & Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask ($4.29)

This mask from Freeman combines the binding properties of activated charcoal with the exfoliating aspect of black sugar for super soft and clear skin. Instead of waiting 20 minutes before ripping off a mask, apply this one and leave it on for five to seven minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.

2. Origins Clear Improvement® Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pores ($4-$26)

I ended up purchasing this product as a result of my Sephora trip. I was drawn to it for its high user reviews (4.3 out of 5 stars). This gentle option does exactly what peel-off masks do with activated charcoal that acts like a magnet to unclog pores and absorb oils. The added bonus is the ability to eliminate dullness and even out skin texture. The label recommends you wash your face and rinse with warm water or place a warm towel over your face to open your pores before using this product. Apply and leave the mask on for 10 minutes before rinsing. Also, it comes in different sized containers at different price points.

3. Dr. Jart+ Pore Minimalist Black Charcoal Sheet Mask ($35)

This sheet mask detoxes your pores and removes oils without irritating your skin. In addition to activated charcoal, spearmint extract increases skin elasticity and arginine cleanses the skin. Sheet masks are super easy to use – all you have to do is place the sheet on your face and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Instead of rinsing the excess serum, massage it into your skin to get the full effect.

These charcoal face products prove that you can have beauty without the pain. So, if you’re thinking about trying activated charcoal, skip the painful peel-off masks and opt for one of these gentle options instead. Set your timer, sit back and relax while watching YouTube videos of people removing peel-off masks knowing you won’t have to experience the same sensation.

Image courtesy of What Woman Needs

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.